cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BitCommet

Community Veteran

BitCommet

I use BitCommet on a server in my attic which runs 24/7.
Does anyone know of any way I can make to program automatically stop at 4pm to stop me reaching my peak time allowance? Starting it at midnight is easy with Windows scheduled tasks but how can I stop it? I don't get home from work until 6 to stop it manually.
6 REPLIES
oliverb
Grafter

BitCommet

How do you close it down normally? Systray icon?

Maybe you could download some kind of scripting tool and write a simple script to send a "close" signal to it. Then put the script in schedule at say 3:55 pm.

Alternatively if you have a router that supports time-of-day rules don't shut the ap. down, just set a rule that only allows it net access at off-peak times.
Alecto
Grafter

BitCommet

You could change to utorrent or azureus, which have schedulers built in.
The utorrent one is particularly easy to use.

Bitcomet seems out of favour anyway, and is banned by a number of torrent sites.
Community Veteran

BitCommet

Thanks for the help. Just discovered in scheduled tasks that you can end the task after a fixed amount of time So I have set it to start at 12:15am and run for 15 and a half hours. That takes it up to 3:45pm. Job done. Will try the other bittorrent clients mentioned also.
N/A

BitCommet

I use bitcomet on my girlfriends account on aol and in the main it is fine.

For plusnet, use azureus and encrypted p2p activated. You will get great speeds on peak time too. However, be careful of course as it will hit into your allowance!
Community Veteran

BitCommet

Even if there was no peak time allowance I would still like to automatically stop downloads in the evenings as that is the time when I am home and checking email and the likes. I also share my connection with my friend through a long range wireless link and he is home in the evenings also.
N/A

BitCommet

Well write a simple command script. There are plenty of .bat files on the net to do it. Such as killtask or whatever. You need to know the name of the task from taskmanager though.