cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Binatone modems

N/A

Binatone modems

... and USB modems in general.

Just chucking this one in as a point for discussion.

For my own part, my experience of PlusNet has been truly fantastic. Efficient, reliable, keen to respond to problems (thanks Ian) and a joy to deal with.

However, it would seem to me that quite a few people have problems and a fair proportion of those that do can put their poor experiences down to Binatone (and other USB) modems. False economy, methinks.

IMHO, offering the packages which include this, the cheapest (and most-likely-to-give-trouble) of ADSL connection hardware, is a shot in the foot for PlusNet, in that it seems to give rise to a disproportionate number of problems, dissatisfied customers and, hence, bad publicity.

I don't like to see PlusNet getting slammed, since I think they're great. So why do they continue to sell hardware whose compatibility with the range of Operating Systems and Chip Sets is questionable, to say the least?

Unless there is a staggeringly good business reason not to do so, I would suggest that PlusNet drop the USB modem offerings ASAP and offer Ethernet modems/routers as a minimum hardware configuration.

... waiting for the flame replies from hordes of satisfied Binatone owners :?
10 REPLIES
N/A

Binatone modems

It's a fact, for computer parts, the consumer is the Quality Control, any cheap priced item is liable to have a higher fault rate and possibly badly written instructions or drivers.
USB is also the cheapest and, in most cases, easiest route (you dont have to open your PC and fit a LAN card, for example)

True, you get what you pay for but, consumers tend to look for a deal and if PlusNet have to charge £1 more than another ISP, guess who will get more business.
Community Veteran

Binatone modems

This board by it's very nature will attract those with problems so reading it you may believe there are major problems with USB modems. In reality this is not the case as the vast majority that received USB modems will have had no problems installing and using them.

Yes USB modems tend to be the cheaper end of the market and as such quality control tends to go by the way side due to the competition. Also USB support in earlier motherboards and windows versions was also very much hit and miss. That added to the miriad of combinations of mobo manufacturers, chipset manufacturers, USB modem manufacturers will mean certain combinations will not work. Power does tend to be the root cause for many problems but so do drivers and windows.

So in order to compete with other ISPs PlusNet have to offer the cheaper solutions which in turn mean USB modems. But PlusNet are not the only ISP with this problem, they all do because it is the hardware the user has or is supplied with that tends to be the cause and PlusNet cannot determin that when a custmer asks for ADSL service.

Most of the reports I have seen here in my short time with PlusNet do eventually get resolved but some will always be in the category of it will never work. In some case the hardware is incompatible so an alternative is sourced, often but not always being a non USB device.

Finally, a lot of ADSL users could be classed as PC novices and a USB based solution is one of the easiest method of connecting equipment to a PC. If PlusNet started saying you must fit network cards or PCI modems, those PC novices (who probably don't even know how to or want to take the cover off their PCS) are likely to say not for me and go elsewhere. PlusNet would be silly not to cater for this type of user.

If USB modems did not exist, what would half of us here do during the day Cheesy

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

Binatone modems

Why not offer people the choice of either USB or Ethernet modems?

I'd gladly pay a bit more for the latter if it was likely to be more reliable.

Cheers!

Inkfinger
N/A

Binatone modems

As noted, only a small number of people have problems with USB modems. When they do, solving it can be difficult, especially if they are unwilling to believe the problem could be their PC or them.

I agree, offering USB and ethernet options are a good idea, but how new users will know what the differences are, except for a higher price on the ethernet option ?Huh
N/A

Binatone modems

Good point!

Personally I like to read up on things a bit before committing myself, but I dare say I'm in the minority!

Another thing I'm in the minority about is that I use a Mac, so I feel the need for a bit of caution when buying new gear!

Cheers!

Inkfinger
N/A

Binatone modems

Another thing I'm in the minority about is that I use a Mac, so I feel the need for a bit of caution when buying new gear!

Well, for starters, the 'free' Binatone offered by PlusNet in its standard starter pack is incompatible with Os9, the Os which is still used by the majority of Mac owners. Pity about that, otherwise I would have referred 3 Mac Os9 users to PlusNet this week. PlusNet would say to just throw away, or sell, the Binatone but there must be a better way than flooding the market with countless unusable - or unwanted - tacky modems.

Simon
N/A

Binatone modems

Yes, there is a better way, go for the "wires only" options. That way you don't get a modem on 'HP' that you have to throw or give away !!
N/A

Binatone modems

A reasonable argument if it were not flawed by the fact that the standard starter pack deal including the Bin-a-phone modem is actualy cheaper than wires-only.

Simon

Moderators note (John) Quotation deleted as it was just a complete copy of the previous post and as such is not needed. Quotations should only be used to highlight part of a post or to refer back to a post further back.
N/A

Binatone modems

Ok, I conceed.

Easy Start = £24.99 + free activation
DSL Home = £21.99 + £50 activation

Take the 'free' activation with Easystart worth £50, spread it over 12 months, which equals £4 a month. This would make easystart equivilant to £20.99 + activation. Modem could be considered truly free and dumped.

Mind you, routers are also available on easystart according to this http://www.plus.net/info2/hardware/index.html
N/A

Binatone modems

Thats true. Ive seen lots of ppl with Binatone problems. I was lucky to get a Dynamode modem when i signed up a year ago and ive had no problems. I've only ever seen one complaint about the Dynamode.