cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Binatone modem - need registry key please

N/A

Like some other customers I have been trying to get the Binatone ADSL 500 to install on an XP machine.

After a number of fruitless attempts I thought that perhaps the registry entries would have got tangled up - so I deleted all references to Binatone in the registry. Oops!!!

Now when I try to run the install programe I get an error telling me it can't get the registry value: key=Software\Binatone\Adsl value =drive type.

If anyone has their modem working could they let me know what entry I need to create so I can at least get back to the position I started from.

TIA
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

This isn't what you asked, but I thought I'd recommend that you make a backup of your registry before you ever mess around with it. Just go to File, Export in RegEdit. Smiley

Actually, thinking about it, Windows makes periodic backups of the registry. Problem is, I can't remember how to access them (I think you have to use a command line IIRC).

Thomas
N/A

Is the registry backed up as part of System Restore?
Community Veteran

Yes - good thinking Chris! I never use SR myself, so it never crosses my mind.

Thomas
N/A

Good advice but too late!

Can anybody help with the missing registry entry?
Community Veteran

I think the point Chris (ET4) is making is that you can try rolling back to a previous automatic System Restore point. Smiley

Thomas
N/A

I think you missed what I'm saying, devansonline Smiley

Unless you have manually deactivated System Restore, you can return to a certain backup point (I.E. before you removed the registry key) which should fix things Smiley

To find the System Restore wizard, do the following:

[list=1]
  • Click Start
  • Choose Help And Support
  • In the window that opens, there should be the option of Undo changes to your computer with System Restore under the Tasks title. Click this.
  • This will launch the System Restore wizard, follow this through the steps (they are all pretty self explanatory).[/listShocked]

Note: System Restore doesn't affect data files (such as documents and pictures), only programs which you have installed (and system settings such as your registry).

Hope this helps, feel free to ask if you require further instructions on this.
  • N/A

Thanks for the help but the system restore is deactivated. So I will have to rekey the registry entry the modem installation program is trying to access.
    N/A

Oh, sorry then Smiley

It's strange that it requires a registry key to be there, how did it get there in the first place if it's needed by the install program?
    N/A

The binatone installer may be detecting the presence of a seperate key that makes it think that soem software is allready installed.

Because it detects this one, it thinks all others should be there.

You may not be able to locate this other key, as they don't strickly have to be labled binatone.

All that being said, I would sugest a phoen call to binatone. I did hear of sombody ahve a problem iwth a USB ADSL modem and contacting the maker. They supplier that perform with an uninstaller designed to get rid of the junk left behind and causing install programs.

This may nto have been the binatone, however, they should be able to advise.

You will need to phone them though, as they don't have details on thw website.
    N/A

Good advice.

Unfortunately Binatone's phone support is 9 to 5 Mon-Fri. So I will never be able to call while I am anywhere near my computer.

I have sent an email but they obviously won't be able to even read it before they start work next week. And realistically I am expecting a drawn out (and necessarily slow - one mail a day) email conversation.

I hoped to be able to find somebody with the modem working and that might have let me at least get started me today
    holdtight
    Grafter

REGEDIT4
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Binatone\Adsl]
    "srcpath"="C:\\DOCUME~1\\USERNAME\\LOCALS~1\\Temp\\adsl\\"

Hi,
    I think this is the key you are after, copy and paste it into notepad then save it as a .REG file, double click and select merge with registry, make sure you backup the registry first and create a system restore point just in case,also make sure you put your username where it says in the key and that should sort it out, good luck.
    N/A

Made the registry change OK. The installation files are now being copied (and run I presume) from the temp directory.

However the program is still asking for the drivertype key (at least that's what I think it's asking for)
    "Can't get registry value:
    key=Software\Binatone\Adsl
    value=driverType"
    holdtight
    Grafter

I cant really understand why its asking for this if as you say the install is now going, i suggest you try the following and begin from scratch, if that does not do it which it should i think its going to be a tech support job unless anyone else has any ideas, (good luck with binatone tech supp their useless)

In case an error message is displayed during the install or uninstall
    procedure, you
    can fully remove the Binatone ADSL 500 USB Modem software drivers by performing the
    following steps.

1. From the provided CD-ROM, explore the CD-ROM and for user using win98 or WinMe,
    select the “Uninstall_98_Me” folder, otherwise select the “WinUninstall”. Run the
    “uninstall.bat” file by double clicking the icon.
    2. A message will be displayed asking you to confirm adding the information in binatone.reg
    to the registry, Click OK.
    3. You will be prompted “Binatone.reg has been successfully entered into the registry”,

click
    OK.
    4. If using windows98 ,you will have to press spacebar to continue (windows 2000/xp need
    not)
    5. Click Yes when asked to remove the software.
    6. You will be prompted NOT to unplug your modem, click OK.
    7. While the following message appears, please unplug the cable,
    8. The “Reboot” window will appear, select Yes, reboot the computer and then click Close
    to complete the un-installation.
    N/A

i had the same problem ,i reinstalled xp .that cured it.