cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Binatone causes PC to hang (sometimes)

N/A

Hi,

I’ve seen similar posts here, but not anything exactly the same as what I’ve been experiencing:

Occasionally (normally on boot-up) the Binatone USB modem causes my PC system to slow down and the CPU usage hover around 100%. The modem still works but programs take a long time to respond. My temporary solution is to unplug and then plug in the modem (using the Safely Remove Hardware app), causing the modem to re-initialise.

I contacted PlusNet and Binatone, tried different drivers, checking USB resources, different hubs and ports, looking for viruses/spyware…all the usual suspects. Smiley

It seems to happen when other apps cause the CPU demand to rise to 100% - it’s as if the modem can’t cope when it can’t get its share (typically 35%). I know USB modems are infamous for using PC resources, but I would have thought that they would still manage in a multitasking environment.

Has anybody experienced something similar? Can anyone offer a solution?

This doesn’t happen all the time, so I’ve delayed spending more money to sort it out, but I am considering getting a router instead. Any ideas on which?

Thanks

PS: Using XP SP1, USB 2.0, ZoneAlarm
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Can you supply full PC specs including processor type/speed, what disks you have, what PCI cards are fitted AND what your PSU (power supply) rating is in watts - this should be on a label on the PSU.

A few possibilities that come to mind are:

• The PSU cannot handle the load what the CPU is maxed out. The CPU draws the most power when running 100%.
  • Your CPU is getting too hot. What are your CPU temps. If you don't have an app that came with your PC to do this try Motherboard Monitor. Again when the CPU is running 100% it will get hotter. If it's a Pentium 4 processor then when it gets too hot the CPU automatically reduced the clock speed so your system slows down.
  • driver compatibility problems - you have tried different ones but it could be an existing driver not the USB one that is in conflict.

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

Thanks for the suggestions, Peter

Here’s the specs:

1.8 GHz Celeron, 512MB RAM, 80GB Western Digital, 40GB Maxtor, RealMagic DVD card, on-board sound, Radeon AGP card.

IMHO I dismissed the power being a problem because I have had more power-hungry cards / peripherals connected with no problems and I only recently replaced my 350W PSU with a QuietPC 300W PSU (which are known to have high tolerances). Also the USB modem is on a powered hub, so I know it’s getting plenty of current. I did several power requirement analyses before changing my PSU, so I’m pretty sure that there is plenty to go round.

I don’t think it’s the CPU temp – I’ve been very careful to ensure adequate cooling – the HDDs are in caddies with 40mm fans, I have an LCD temp display, have a 120mm case fan and found the CPU temp to never go higher than 70C (according to the various apps that I have). According to Motherboard Monitor it’s 26C at the moment. Plus, I can’t see why the CPU would get too hot when the modem is connected, suddenly cool down when I disconect the modem, and never get too hot when the usage goes to 100% when I don’t have the modem connected and I use a CPU intensive app.

The most likely of the bunch you suggested is the driver issue, but I don’t know what the next step is with that. :?

It’s funny, but everyone seems to want to point the finger at EVERYTHING BUT the modem! Strange that! Cheesy

Thanks for your help Wink
Community Veteran

probably because it is often easier to do something with the other things as all you can do with the modem is get another one without knowing if iot will be any better or worse.

Can't help with the driver issue, some obvious ones to try is DirectX, video card, vb6 runtime etc. Even if you think they are OK reinstalling may change something.

When you say the CPU goes to 100%, what app is using all the CPU time?
N/A

It varies appwise; sometimes Visual Basic, ZoneAlarm (on boot), Norton AntiVirus (on boot), system (indexing I expect), explorer and many others (usually only for short bursts). I expect most apps and games try to grab as much as they can.

Binatone eventually thought it was USB resources for some reason, so I went here http://www.guidenet.net/resources/usb.html but after applying the advice there it didn't change anything.

I'll try fiddling with the drivers, but I suspect I'll get a router in the end. Cry

Would the NetGear DM602 be any good? What else do I need? An ethernet network card - anything else?
Community Veteran

If you only intend to connect a single PC then that is fine but if you can afford it I would recommend the 4 port DG834 which has a proper hardware firewall.

You will need a network card and Ethernet cable.
N/A

binatone 500 modem

with reference to your pc hanging since installing above modem my pc crashes microsoft keep telling me it is driver conflict but have only installed modem i also installed modem on laptop and this does the same it is very frustrating can any-one help have contacted binatone but had no reply this has been hapening since November 2003.
Will be getting wireless router at some latter stage so the laptop is on line as well then the kids wont be booting me off so they can talk to friends also would like to know what wireless router and accesories to get for the best buy and reliability.
Community Veteran

Please supply PC specs and windows version when asking for help.

If you have XP, make sure you install SP1.
N/A

Here are pc specs Laptop Toshiba satellite 1110 Windows XP
PC is a Time HDD 2 x 40gb
Motherboard GA7DX
Memory 256
Video Card GEFORCE
CDRom/DVD
Sound Card INT
Internal Modem ASKEY
Processor ALTHON 1333
Windows XP
I hope this is what you want as i know how to operate but not the technical side maybye the brain is getting slower as i get older
Many thanks for your interest in helping.

PS have checked and microsoft have only recomended the sp2 i have not got number 1
Community Veteran

SP2 does not exist yet, it is still in Beta. You should download and install SP1 via windows update.
N/A

Have it installed just checked update file.
Community Veteran

Are you saying you have just installed it or it was already installed when you had the problems you reported.

If it was already installed then I don't have any other suggestions.

As for wireless router DG834G should be ok. Look around as there are several threads on wireless routers with other suggestions.
N/A

I got a router and it solved the problem

I'd just like to say for the benefit of anyone who experiences similar problems, that by getting a router I was able to dump the Binatone PC resource hog!

I got an Origo ASR 8400 router from Ebuyer a while ago, and although they are a little flaky (you get what you pay for), it now works perfectly. I didn't even have to install a network card! Cheesy