cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Binatone USB modem vs. router... (& a problem I'm having

N/A

Up until a couple of weeks ago things had been working fine - signed up in Dec, got the USB modem, plugged it in, installed drivers and it worked. Hurrah.

Over the last few weeks, I'm losing my connection at random intervals (some days I can be connected for 4 hours no problems, others it loses connection every few minutes...)

I have the 2 light (old style?) Binatone modem and after searching through the forums (there seems to be lots of related posts, but they only confused the matter for me) the consensus seems to be that the USB modem route is not the best solution for adsl and that a lot of people recommend throwing the thing through the window and getting a router.

Now, could my problems be the USB power thing? (in which case why was it working fine for months previously?) If it is, do I admit defeat and buy a router? (in which case - any recomendations?)

If it is unlikely to be the USB power thing, then where do I go next? Plusnet CS suggested reinstalling drivers (done, doesn't help) and using main phone socket (I have a desktop pc with a 19" monitor and main phone socket is in kitchen and not near a electric socket so not very practical). Again, it has been working fine for months, so why the sudden change in 'phone socket'?

Symptoms are as below:

Switch on pc, connect to the internet (old style so it acts like a dial up modem Cry ) and surf away to my hearts content. Then suddenly it isn't connected, one (of the two) lights on the modem has gone out (power light still on) and then about 5-10 seconds later light starts flashing for a second or two, goes steady and then I can reconnect (using the aforementioned nasty modem dialogue box). Starts working fine again. This happens at random intervals, occasionally no problems for days, then sometimes happens 10 times in 10 mins and i give up and go and do something else.

I've only noticed this start to happen over the last few weeks.

So, over to you...

Richard

(BTW - apologies for the length of this post)
6 REPLIES
N/A

Why it is suddenly happening is one of lifes mysteries. It could be BT changing their routers or the modem going faulty or somthing on your pc.

Have you installed any windows updates as som eof them can be the problem. You could try rolling back if you have XP and seeing if that solves it. In these cases the only way is to isolate the fault but to do this you need to try the modem on another pc in another location. Try another modem on your pc.

This isnt often practical but that would isolate the fault if the modem was at fault it would do the same on another pc and the new modem would work.

In general a router is the best option and you can get them on ebay for £40 or less. The big thing with a router is the IP live on the net is the router and not your pc as it is with a modem. This means any worm type attacks only attack the router leaving you pc and data safe
N/A

hmmmm, a possibility - I'm on Win2k and I know I have installed some updates recently... I can't remember if it started happening before or after that (and 90% of the time things work fine so it is a joyful 'intermittent' problem)...

I've not looked at whether I can roll back a Win2k patch (naive I know but I kinda assume that a windows patch is fairly improtant when they send them out...)For reference I'm on Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4 (build 2195). Are there any known problems with SP4?

As for isolation, its difficult to try my modem somewhere else as the only other people I know with broadband are on cable setups...and to try another modem would mean I would have to buy one and if I'm doing that then I might as well buy a router!!!

I'm thinking that it might be a bite the bullet time - I'll have a look around and see what routers are out there...

R.
N/A

Hi there. .

The symptoms you documents I wouldn't say are directly caused by power management as the common remedy for such a problem is either unplugging/plugging the USB modem or a reboot. Also the DSL light on the modem just dissappearing and then re-establishing itself makes me think it is not power related, but I could be wrong. .

As you say, it could be software related, as it sounds like the PC/Modem temporarily forgets that theres a connection running and the software just goes into initialisation mode as it does on startup.

The only sure fire way of identifying such a problem is to go through it using process of elimination.. trying the modem on a different OS, PC or Line, but this isn't always available. .
N/A

Hi there. .

The only sure fire way of identifying such a problem is to go through it using process of elimination.. trying the modem on a different OS, PC or Line, but this isn't always available. .

I know this is going to sound strange, but I have one PC, with one OS and one phone line...(surely not that unusual for a home user...?)

From the sound of it, I might try raising a ticket and see what happens. I must admit I really don't like the way you have to connect using the 'dial up' dialogue box, it really does seem a pain (and pointless) for an always on connection...

I'd prefer not to have to buy a router if the current set up starts working again...

R.
N/A

Hi again. . .

It doesn't sound strange at all. . . as I said, this isn't always possible. .

Also the dial up connection box is required due to the way the modem uses windows dialup networking components to connect and authenticate your username and password. The connection is describes as always on as the service is hard wired to you physical telephone line and is available day or night, whenever you need it. .

Its not always connected as the way the connection is set up, you instruct the PC to make a connection when required.

Hope this helps.
Andy Moxon
N/A

Have you tried the modem in another USB port?

Have you checked to see what USB chipset you have, I believe VIA can cause some issues?