cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Binatone ADSL500 setup

zpeterk
Grafter

Binatone ADSL500 setup

A friend of mine has just recieved one of these and can't get it to connect. Each time he saves his username and password it says he han't entered one. His adsl works fine with my ethernet modem. Is there a way to reset them? or is it faulty?
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Binatone ADSL500 setup

That sounds more like a windows issue not remembering the details.

What windows version is being used?

Have you tried uninstalling then reinstalling the Binatone drivers?

Do you have all the latest windows updates installed. There have been fixes for password corruptions and other issues in the past.
N/A

Binatone ADSL500 setup

I used a windows update awhile back for my windows 98 and it caused a big problem with my computer and my son had to get it working again. Now I have a problem with my binatone modem as I followed the instructions and then when it came to double click on the icon and get the screen for inputting my username etc it doesn't come up. Instead I get the page cannot be displayed. the page is cuurently unavailable. I am connected at the moment via my dial up service which I have had for over a year now. I long to get my always on connection sorted out. Please can you help me. I have my filters all in place. The two green lights are on constantly and the data light is flashing.

:? Thank you. Sals
Community Veteran

Binatone ADSL500 setup

If you have had problems in the past with Windows due to windows update, I suspect there are still things wronginternally amd the driver is not being installed properly - unless your system was fully reinstalled with Win98.

What you are seeing is not expected behaviour so I suspect there are still problems from when you did the windows update. The only real solution I can recommend is to reinstall win98.

You can reinstall over the top of your current setup and it should remember all the current apps you have installed but will restore the windows files and DLLs to what it was. You will then need to run windows update again then reinstall your USB modem drivers. However, I do recommend backing up all personal files before doing this as you may lose them if the reinstall does not work or goes wrong.

Identifying problems on a system that had or has windows install / update problems may prove impossible.
N/A

Binatone ADSL500 setup

Thank you for the information. I believe windows 98 was re-installed as I remember my son asking for it when he came to sort it out for me. I was asked for my windows 98 cd-rom yesterday when installing drivers but it came up with loads of files which cannot be found. mostly dll files. It was trying to do copying files. also the source file was C\windows\options\cabs. Destination file was C\windows\system\choosusr.dll=net7.cab. I do not understand any of this. Am I looking for a usb modem in the network icon in control panel? I found microsoft virtual private networking adaptor there. Also under isp settings i saw not only my current modem 56k but microsoft vpn adaptor which i do not remember seeing before.

thanks Sals Sad
zpeterk
Grafter

Binatone ADSL500 setup

Its a new HP machine with XP home with sp1. I have tried uninstalling drivers and reinstalling but it won't remember the settings
Community Veteran

Binatone ADSL500 setup

The microsoft VPN driver was installed when you installed the 56k modem. It has nothing to do with your new modem so ignore that.

If during the driver install it could not find the files it needed and you could not supply a location where they could be found, then the drivers and windows networking have not been installed properly and that is your problem.

You need to have a clean install of the drivers and any files on the windows CD it needs before using the new USB modem. I suggest you get help from your son on this.
Community Veteran

Binatone ADSL500 setup

OK, this is getting confusing with 2 intermixed problems in this thread.

@zpeterk, don't have a solution for XP. Have you tried searching Microsoft Knowledge base and see if there are any problem reports with saving passwords on XP.
zpeterk
Grafter

Binatone ADSL500 setup

thanks Peter
N/A

Binatone ADSL500 setup

Mercy

I also had missing .dll files when loading the drivers for the binatine modem on Windows 98.

When you get the message to insert your Win98 disk, change the default path that you mention in your message above to 'd:\win98' (assuming d is your cd drive). The files are then found from the disk and, for me anyway, the install worked fine.

I rang Plusnet support for this info, as I was also confused by the default path.

Good luck
pcorker
Grafter

Binatone ADSL500 setup

zpeterk
Using the correct @plusdsl.net password for setting up?
Pat.
N/A

Binatone ADSL500 setup

Mercy

I also had missing .dll files when loading the drivers for the binatine modem on Windows 98.

When you get the message to insert your Win98 disk, change the default path that you mention in your message above to 'd:\win98' (assuming d is your cd drive). The files are then found from the disk and, for me anyway, the install worked fine.

I rang Plusnet support for this info, as I was also confused by the default path.

Good luck

Thank you for your suggestion. I uninstalled the modem and re installed it and when it asked for windows 98 cd-rom put it in d drive and changed it to D like you suggested. It still cannot find a lot of files. Do you have the new binatone modem with 3 lights? Although it is designed for windows 98 se, it does say in leaflet with modem from binatone for windows 98 users, you may be prompted for your windows cd-rom which is what happened to me. still unable to use the modem and money has now been taken for my monthly payment. :?

Also when I look in system system properties device manager it shows other devices with a yellow ? and under it another yellow ? binatone adsl 500 usb modem network adaptor. When i look in control panel under network the usb modem is not shown there.
windows 98 se is too expensive to upgrade to. May have to buy a modem to see if I can get things to work. Sad

Sals
N/A

Binatone ADSL500 setup

Firstly, the yellow icons means the device is not working, so uninstall it and start again.

The path will only be D if your CD rom is actually drive letter D. Go to "My Computer" and look for the letter relating to the CD ROM and note this. This is the letter you should use when the windows 98 CD is asked for. Also, the files required are not in the root directory of the CD, they are in the folder Win98. So, when it asked for the CD you will have to navigate to 'drive letter/win98' which if your CDRom is at letter D will be D:/win98. If you navigate to it correctly, net7.cab will appear in the left hand pane.

Original Win98 may not have the networking drivers to support the new binatone in network configuration. Sorry, it's another OS, modem or router if that is the case.
N/A

Binatone ADSL500 setup

Sals

Yes, my modem is the one with 3 lights (Power, ADSL & Data). I am on 98 2nd edition, so that might be the difference. Sorry I can't help any more!