cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Binatone ADSL500 Drivers = Ultimate Frustration!

N/A

Can anyone tell my why my Binatone drivers keep uninstalling? This happens on an almost daily basis, and has done since I started using them 4 months ago. My connection is supposed to be permanently on, so I switch on my PC, try to connect to the net and find the usual "This Page Cannot Be Displayed" message. It's driving me insane. Can anyone help me? Are there better / newer / more stable drivers than the ones that came with the modem?

Please help, this is beyond a joke now and I'm starting to get quite angry about it.

Sad
11 REPLIES
N/A

Your problem will be corruption of the registry settings for the Binatone drivers, causing the drivers not to load an a restart. Subsequent reinstalls do not overwrite the corrupt values.
You could try uninstalling the modem and then go through the registry (using regedit) and remove every instance of "Binatone".
Then, after a shutdown & restart, reinstall the Binatone.
Don't blame me if you mess up the registry by doing this.

Another option is to reinstall the OS and modem from scratch.

Best option, chuck the Binatone modem and get a decent modem router. NOTE: Decent modem router and not a cheap non supported thing.
N/A

Thanks. Actually the OS (Win XP Pro) was freshly installed yesterday. I can't understand why the registry entries would suddenly just become become corrupt. why is that?
N/A

If you have already done a fresh install of the OS and the drivers, I cannot think why the drivers should fail to initialise on reboot. That is, unless you are suffering a USB power issue which stops the modem being correctly recognised.

If you have an AMD CPU, try this test. When the modem is working correctly, stop the modem using the device disconnection icon in the system tray and then unplug it from the USB port. (You could just unplug it from the USB port but this does not guarantee a clean unload of the drivers)
Remove all other USB devices. Restart the PC and allow it to fully boot up, then plug the modem back in. It should be recognised and load the the drivers.
1/ If it is recognised and works this way, I would suggest it is a USB power issue.
2/ If it is not recognised and does not work, Throw it away. Seriously, I have no idea why it should happen.
N/A

Not alone in the always off department sorry ive no suggestions but least you know it's not just your connection or pc
N/A

Have you tried the plusnet binatone driver

N/A

Make sure they are the correct drivers. Both drivers for the old 2 light and the new three light versions are on that link. The 3 light version dates are 2003, so will not be newer than those supplied with the modem, which was supplied from Jan 2004.
N/A

I got my modem in december, on christmas eve. Broadband was a great present after 56k!

Anyway, I tried the 2003 drivers, well actually I didn't because Win XP didn't find any, so I uninstalled the modem, gave the registry a good clean and reinstalled the other ones. I guess I'll just have to live with the problem or buy another modem.

Thanks again.
N/A

Next time it happens, try going to Control Panel-Hardware-
Device Manager.
Look for the modem and in properties go to the driver bit
and choose the option to 'Update Driver' instead of reinstalling
the usual way.
As for a new modem I would agree, the idea is to fit and forget
about it ( for most of the time) not have constant aggravations.
I ditched my Plusnet modem ( Dynamode then) after three months
of constant disconnections. What a relief it was.
Alec
N/A

Thanks Aleca.

I think I have tried all the possible ways to uninstall the drivers but unfortunately it's the same thing every time -- nothing really works 100%. Then again, it's been fine for over 24 hours now! I expect them to myteriously uninstall again anytime soon though.

As for another modem, do you have any suggestions on which make / model to buy? I'll stick with USB for now rather than a router. I'm currently out of work though, so this is a bit of a pain in the neck. Don't suggest anything too expensive, please!

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks to all for your replies and suggestions. Smiley
N/A

I have a speedtouch 330 that I don't need
and you can have cheap , if your interested
send me a pm.
You can also get these and some speedtouch
green (frogs) sometimes on ebay, they are pretty
good and you should'nt get problems.
I dont think I can recommend any other USB modem
although the Hayes Zoom is supposed to be a good one.
I know you don't like the idea of ethernet but there is
a good buy on the for sale forum, a DG834 router.
If you don't like the Idea of NAT and port forwarding,
then the new ethernet only X Modem from ADSLNation (about £50)
is a good unit combined with a Belkin f5d5000 network card
(under a tenner) should work great.
Alec
N/A

It's not that I don't like the idea of using a router, right now it's just a case of money. I'm halfway through building an Athlon 64 system (waiting for socket 939 & the new CPU's to be released), so basically this project is absobing all my finances.

I'll have a think about the Speedtouch, and maybe contact you soon. Thanks very much again, Aleca.