cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Binatone ADSL Connection Drops When You Change Anything

N/A

Every time I update anything - such as installing any critical update patches (which are kind of essential after reinstalling Win 98 from scratch) or even changing my anti-virues settings (which led to Binatone disappearing the first time) - the Binatone 500 'disappears' and is no longer recognised by the machine.

I have had to reinstall Win 98 twice now in order to get the modem up and running again. Anyone now of any cures to this problem? I need to add / remove software to the PC - updating IE for a start!
7 REPLIES
N/A

Okay, I've managed to narrow the problem down to a conflict with Sygate Personal Firewall. I don't know if other firewalls cause this problem, but will be trying them out.
N/A

Hi,just to let you know i've had loads of problems with the same Modem(see post 'ADSL Home Surf Problems').Trying to sent mine back and get a refund.Apparently,problems if you have a VIA chipset.
Good luck
nickthesurfer
Grafter

Binatone 500

My 500 doesn't work on either my laptop or PC (both have XP). Have bought/borrowed a Binatone 2000 & my ADSL connection is great - if a little more expensive than I was initially hoping for. PlusNet have are going to take the modem (500) back & replace it with a 'working' one but if the problem isn't actually a faulty modem but rather an inherent fault then I'm buggered. Who wants a start-up package that doesn't actually work - not much of a deal!

Nick :roll:

ps. should the 500 appear as a dial-up connection...........mine has?
N/A

cloud - thanks - glad to know it's not my incompetence causing the problems!

nick - not sure since you're using XP. it does in win98SE.
nickthesurfer
Grafter

Dial-up connection

Cheers, just wanted to make sure that it was being recognised correctly. The Binatone 2000 can also be connected via an ethernet port & so appears as a LAN or high speed internet connection (which makes more sense to me).

Nick :roll:
N/A

Well, it's nearly a week and I'm no closer to solving the problem. Basically, I can install the modem software and it synchs fine. But if I have anything that starts up at boot, such as memory resident antivirus or firewall or Google toolbar, the modem just will not synch at all.

The cheek of it all is, I've been writing to Plus about this and they keep saying, "oh well, that's very unusual, we haven't had any complaints about this modem from anyone else etc etc" when on their own fora it's plain to see the ADSL 500 is a bit of a lemon for a lot of people.

Anyway, ten years IT experience and you would have thought I would have learnt by now - you waste pounds to save pence going for the cheap option!
N/A

Try this site, it may just have what you need .....

http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/