cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Binatone ADSL 500 problems and advice

N/A

Hi everyone,

here's hoping someone out there can help me. After searching these forums and usenet, i don't seem to be much further on.
Last week I became the proud owner of a Binatone ADSL 500 USB modem. After install to XP (all patched) thiings went fine - until I rebooted my machine. EVERY time I turn the PC off the modem drivers disappear and need re-installing (the drivers seem to create a software based Network Interface Card which never appears when I re-start PC).

I noticed another user had similar problems, but no solution was forthcoming. Is this the USB power problem, or something I am missing? Nayone else experienced this?

Perhaps I should ditch the modem - has anyone got any recommendations for an ethernet based solution? Since I only have 1 pc here I don't need a router , although am open to advice if there are advantages going down a modem + router path.

Any help, comments or suggestions will be most welcome.

Yeah, I know, don't switch off my PC :-)
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

The USB power problem does not lose you drivers, it just cuts the power to the modem sometimes.

The newer 3 light Binatone ADSL 500 is installed as a network device. The previous 2 light model and drivers installed the device as a dialup modem.

I would not waste your time trying to get it working as there has been a lot of issues with it, especially on WinXp systems. Get a 1 port Ethernet router instead. Try the ebuyer ASR 8000 (actually an origo ASR 8000) for about £30 or less. Many have used it successfully. It is a NAT router so does not have an in-built firewall so you need a software firewall running on your PC like ZoneAlarm.
N/A

thanks for your advice, will look at that router.

Think i will give up on the Binatone USB modem.
Community Veteran

You won't be the first... or the last to do that Wink
N/A

lol my 3 light binatone worked gr8..... only after throwing it around my bedroom for about 27 hours!! CRAZY thing!!!!

Then i turned and tried to compile the linux drivers.... o hahahah tht was fun... after 5days i got it to compile and work!... well, okay, sorta work, ish!

Seriosuly Ethernet modems are the best... no hassle!