cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Binatone ADSL 500 Connection

N/A

Hello everybody,

I'm not sure if anybody else feels this way but I hate the way my computer connects to the internet. What is with this silly page you have to load up to connect? It loads up my browser and I click connect - it then takes about a minute to connect. Now everybody else I know connects to the internet by using dial-up and just dialing a random phone number. This connects in about 5 seconds. Not only this but it displays the connection speed - unlike the binatone modem that just displays 10Mbps (yeah right!). Is there anyway I can change it so that I can connect using the dial-up method or do I have to get a new modem?

thanks.

Franklin
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

If you are talking about the new 3 light Binatone, then the drivers are written to make it a network device as far as windows is concerbed (like a network card) so it's not possible to use 'dial-up' methods for a connection. The old 2 light Binatone was installed as a normal modem which then 'dialup up' when you wanted to connect, but the drivers for that are not compatible with the new 3 light version.

However, it should not take 1 minute to connect so something is not right with your setup. Have you tried with your firewall and anti-virus software disabled to see if it is any quicker?
N/A

It is the 3 light model...and connecting is probably more like 30seconds - it just feels like forever compared to everyone else I know where it is literally about 3 seconds. And then it displays the connection speed - which is very helpful (I've been having some problems recently - it downloads at about 25k/s and then browsing is really slow - knowing the connection speed would help).

I've tried without antivirus and firewall - no difference.

Perhaps it's time for a PCI modem - could you suggest any?

thanks for the help
Community Veteran

Forget about PCI, go for a combined ADSL modem/router which connects via a ethernet. You will then have an 'always on' connection.

There are loads to chose from: Netgear DG834 (4 port), Origo ASR8000 (single port router).

Or search this message board, loads of people have asked for recomendations.
N/A

Re: Binatone ADSL 500 Connection

...What is with this silly page you have to load up to connect? It loads up my browser and I click connect - it then takes about a minute to connect. ...
... or do I have to get a new modem?

If you choose to stick with the Binatone thing, then you can set it up to connect automatically on power up. Edit your login settings and choose "Always On". This won't get rid of the problems with the modem (if you're having any), but it'll stop you having to open up the modem's web page and click connect.

Jon
pcorker
Grafter

What PlusNet account type do you have, asymmetrical?
Pat.
N/A

I have the 0.5Mbit account type. The modem came free with it.
N/A

You say you get download speeds of 25 k i had this problem with my 1mb line when i first got it. In the end a BT enginner had to call round to look at the problem properly. I found out that there was a falt in the main BT socket the falt was that the cable running from my house to the telegraph pole was about 25 years old and was badly weatherd away by the weather after all those years. He replaced the cable and recommeded me to get a combined ethernet/modem router and now the problem is sorted and my connection is fine. That was my main problem, you could have the same but it could be all sorts of reasons.
N/A

any way other than dumping the modem to stop it disconnecting all the time, mines started doing that the last couple of days for no reason now, its a well known problem as well I believe with the modems.
N/A

For a usb modem i realy would not recommend a binatone basicly its not the best name in adsl and one other thing there crap.
pcorker
Grafter

Asymmetric

I don't understand (as usual Smiley )
1. Are you trying to dial up on a 512k ADSL account?
2. Have you set "Always on" in the modem Login Settings page.
3. Where do you see the modem display 10Mbps

Pat.
N/A

Pat,

1. Normally you can dial up (it's not like normal dial up but windows thinks it is) - or at least this is what all my friends do. You enter a random phone number and your login/password and it connects in literally about 2 seconds and shows you the speed in the taskbar (just like a normal dial up)

2. I am going to try setting it to "always on" sounds like it may stop my buying a new modem - if it works well.

3. Windows recognises the modem as a network adapter and in network connections shows 10Mbps as connection speed (obviously this is wrong - unless PlusNet have decided to give me a 10Mbit pipe - which I doubt.

The only reason I am complaining about the way it connects etc. is because I can't see how fast it is connected - other people I know who go for the dialing approach see a connection speed. I'd find this useful.

Asymetrical

[Moderator note (by acarr) : Removed duplicated reply]
N/A

Asymmetrical,

I'm using one of the new 3 light binatones, and have it set to always connected. By the time I'm fully logged in to XP I'm already online.

As far as the connection speed goes, although its nice to know when you're using a 56k modem, I find it a bit irrelavent for DSL. If you do want to know though, try pointing your browser at:

http://192.168.1.2/doc/home_idx.htm
pcorker
Grafter

Asymmetrical
I'm guessing thst your friends don't have Binatone 3-lighters.
I'd agree with everything from thekennel :lol:
I use a netmeter which gives me a little graph box (very customisable) of my connection speed and an optional numerical readout. Very useful for assessing speed and quality. I wouldn't be without it. I think there is a free version but I was actually willing to pay MONEY (few pounds) for the full thing!

http://www.dumeter.com/

(There are usually dozens of other makes available elsewhere)

Pat.
pcorker
Grafter

PS
Just looked at the site for DUmeter again
Don't bother reading all the hype
Just download and use free for 30 days (its pretty intuitive to use)

Then pay £11... Shockedops:

Pat