Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Binatone 500 ADSL USB modem support Linux

N/A

Hello,

is it not time, that some of you post a mini-how-to
describing what is required to get the same functionality out of the USB ADSL modem Binatone 500 under Linux as under Microsoft?

I am very excited about this!
Ta.
Bernd.

What Knoppis sees:

modem:

class 255 vendor id 0x509:0x80f aztech systems

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Topic moved to a more apt forum.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

To quote the very helpful man from binatone support:

Dear Sir,

The Linux drivers are for use with versions of Linux at least two years old they do not seem to work with newer versions.

Mr Helpful
Binatone Broadband Support

If anyone here has managed to get the binatone working with a newer version It would be great if they could do a tutorial explaining how though!

In reality the best bet is to buy a router as I will be doing.
N/A

I had it working with RH7 and RH9
I believe there are now official RH9 drivers about

http://www.binatonebroadband.com/downloads/ADSL%20500%20(Revision%20B)/Linux%20Drivers/
Really though, with other distros, compiling the source seems to work.

I compiled source on mandrake 9.2 and 10

it was very temperomental on 10. It shud tell you how to do it in a readme somewhere.
Community Veteran

I've not been able to get it going on mandrake 10.1 but yes the drivers on the disk should work for red hat - before RHEL and Fedora though ;-(
Desperion
Dabbler

In reality the best bet is to buy a router as I will be doing.

I love Linux, but have difficulty getting my head around the command structure. At the moment I have Redhat 9.0 connecting to the internet (not for your eyes Plusnet :-) ) via a DIalup Modem connected to Tesco net. My ADSL connection is via a Speedtouch 330 connected of course to Plusnet. I would therefore like to be able to use Win XP and LInux Redhat 9.0. on ADSL

Can anyone recommend a router that would allow me to do this, that doesn't involve too many command instructions in Linux to install drivers etc ? Please Huh?
Community Veteran

I'm going for a netgear DG834G which should just plug into the network port on your PC and your away, It's a wireless router but if you don't need wireless they do a non wireless version the DG834.

That should work with any OS so long as you have a working network card ;-)

I think I saw some drivers for the speedtouch 330 in suse or mandrake's package manager thingy, not sure which, i'll look in mandrake tommorow ;-)
N/A

smoothwall or ipcop

Hi,

I stay connected to plus.net via a dedicated linux router running smoothwall express. Distros such as smoothwall or ipcop are very easy to install (esp smoothwall) and will run on most hardware and work with most USB adsl modems.

David
holdtight
Grafter

I also use smoothwall installed on a very small form factor patriot 400mhz works a treat and is also so small it sits behind my desk just forgotten about

Back to the binatone i got it to work on redhat/fedora but not with mandrake or suse although i didnt really put myself out and try very hard it was just as a bit of a play around as i use routers
Community Veteran

Which fedora did you get it going on, could you post step by step instructions?
N/A

I tried and failed several times over the period of three months to get the binatone working under both SuSE and Gentoo, it wouldnt have any of it, not a sausage, even after having a few linux professionals have a go at sorting it, and these guys configure and maintain all kinds of servers around the country..

I know of one guy that managed to get it working under SuSE 9.0, cant recall where I found the info, but I managed to email him and he gave me a very detailed set of instructions on how he managed it, yet nothing any of us did at our end yielded positive results, we got synch and an indicated connection (or in otherwords, the modem was working, but not communicating with the PC) but that was the best we could manage.

If you want my advice, get a dedicated router and plug it into a linux box of your choosing, much less hassle, and it's nigh on guaranteed to work.
N/A

smoothwall and ipcop

Thanks for all your replies.
The Binatone 500 seems to be an absolute non-starter for to get connected using Linux. One wonders, why the good tech advisers of PlusNet did allow this to happen; shipping a modem that has no chance ever to work under Linux, in particular for Linux newbees.

Did any of you try the Binatone 500 under ipcop or smoothwall?
Also Kanotix was mentioned as particularly suited to get stubborn modems to work.
Any luck with these?

Best regards,
Boogie. :idea:
N/A

eagleusb any takers?

And what with eagle usb?
Does that help at all?

Boogie
N/A

Hey, all gone to bed?

That misty modem still doesn't butch!
And my nice new stuff won't be delivered before Tuesday. Mist!

Boogie :twisted: