cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Binatone 3-lighter and ipconfig

N/A

Hi,

Well, I am soooo glad about restore points!
(running XP home SP1, definately no recent updates, as I can't be bothered to get them down dial-up...)
Using all the info I can find on this forum, I finally got some results out of my "Easi"start binatone.
Once I'd uninstalled macaffee firewall (someone suggests its network filter can't cope with a new adapter), I did once get some internet through the thing - kept asking me if I wanted to connect as page requested not available oof line, but pressing stay offline repeatedly actually allowed stuff through! (eg Google homepage appeared without asking as it's set to home; ebay would come up butwithout a lot of its images). So the dammed modem works, my line is OK..... but....

I still can't get to the setup page.

Just once, using ipconfig, (before I'd taken mcaffee firewall off) I got an address of 192.168.1.3 and /release led to 0.0.0.0, and /renew gave 192.168.1.3 back. Thought I'd cracked it, and when it still wouldn't work, uninstalled drivers, uninstalled firewall, rebooted, reinstalled drivers and that's when I got the small functionality described above. Ipconfig gave me a different address, and /release did nothing (as it did evey other time but the one above) and /renew gave something along the lines of "this action cannot be performed on something which is not a socket" (I'm sure about the "socket", the rest may be differentish).

So, given that I've restored again to the firewall on, how do i get the modem to 192.168.1.3HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh??

Sorry about the disjointed ramblings, I'm starting to forget what I've done when after 3 days of trying. TIA for any help,

Jon
7 REPLIES
pcorker
Grafter

Put 192.168.1.2 in IE's and the firewall's trusted zone?
Have IE security at low?
IE connections at never connect?
IE General: empty the cache and put settings to always check?
Then stick 192.168.1.2 in your browser.
The connection takes a minute or two (If you are lucky)
The above are just suggestions. Crossing your fingers is also likely to help.
Pat.
(Did I get it right that you are trying to connect via the modem rather than just trying to get ipconfig to work?)
Some more general ideas HERE
N/A

The "no socket" problem can have come about because the modem is no longer considered to be a "connection" (socket) by the system. This can have happend by partially removing the drivers for the modem.
Reinstalling the drivers may not help unless you clean out the registry and any .ini settings first. Maybe a system restore to an earlier date would be easier.
As for the Macfee firewall, this problem affects true network adapters or modems configured as network adapters, as with the 3 light Binatone. You can see if it is working by looking at the corresponding section of the hardware devices page.
N/A

to pcorker:
yes
medium for internet, low for trusted. Of course, internet seems to be getting through a bit
yes. and both the others, at times
yes
comes straight up page cannot befound, page cannot be viewed off line or tries to connect (fails)

Yes, I'm trying to get into the modem config and then off to a lfe to fast surfing; the ipconfig bit just seems to be a symptom (initally guided to it by the "manual" on the installation CD).

to cqg4uzg: I've done so many restores it's not real! I try not to touch the registry if at all poss. But how can I be getting partial web pages up, and be told that the connection is ok in control panel/network, if it's not a considered a connection?? BTW, if I try "repair" under properties in control panel/network(except for the one time I got the "right" IP) it fails.

Everybody:
I think things would go well if I could only find out how to make sure the modem picks up the correct IP address.

Or I see that the speedtouch 330 comes recommended, or there's a place selling a Zyxel 630 (good name, I believe?) for only £26........ should I decide to stop sending good time after bad................

cheers
Jon
Community Veteran

If you do decide to replace the modem, don't get another USB device. Instead buy an external Ethernet modem/router and a network card. Much easier and less trouble in the long run.
N/A

This is sounding more like a power issue on the USB. What is the CPU and chipset on the Mobo, perchance an AMD CPU and VIA chipset ??

The socket issue can be because of a number of factors, the most common is that the modem is installed but the link between it and networking is not installed - the system connection is not present (the socket). I had assumed that you were now not getting a connection and the socket error.

Really, go for a decent modem router.
pcorker
Grafter

Sorry it's still failing. I would do this: (You are probably too fedup to consider it - also you will have to translate into XP as I use W98SE)
Uninstall Binatone USB in control panel add/remove
Restart into safe mode and check that every trace of it has gone or remove any remaining.
Restart (bet you are getting good at that!) and reinstall following my own sequence. HERE
Immediatly before clicking the Binatone desktop icon, clear the cache.
Wait a couple of minutes patiently as the setup pages appear.
Curse the person who gave me naff instructions and buy a router (Or celebrate at an online offlicence)
PS the setup pages look like this HERE
Pat.
N/A

As it happens, my wife just received a speedtouch 330 from tiscali (she's upgrading her work connection) so i've pinched that today, to try. Hey, guess what, everything's perfect with that..... so it's not my system, it's not my line, it's not my filters, it's not my anything, it's that bloody binatone...... just about to ring customer services now (while still online, natch Cheesy )

So I may try the binatone at wife's work, or just shell out for another speedtouch.

Cheers,

Jon