cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billion BiPAK 7402GR2 and 7202 Wireless ADSL modem/routers

N/A

I am thinking of getting either one of the above because I would like to do QoS and IGMP, which my trusty old netgear won't do.

Does anyone have any experiences of the above? Do they seem stable?

Any feedback appreciated Cool
6 REPLIES
N/A

Try looking here. http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-threads.cfm?f=82&g=54

Yes it's on Oz land but they seem to rate the billion kit quite high, however they say some of it has problems with adsl2 but i believe some beta firmware is around. Occasionally someone from the UK posts on there.

Thanks for the pm i am just waiting for my dg834g ver3 to arrive today how did you get your line stats from your router inbto your sig.
N/A

Ah thanks for that - good find.

You can get the normal stats through the web interface of the dg834g, it's just the telnet console offers a bit more in-depth stats (such as how many errors I'm racking up) Cool

Briefly, you have to enable "debug" mode which allows telnet login, and then I did a little PHP script, and uploaded it to my webspace so it could query the modem. When you get running i'll give you a bit more info if you like Cool
N/A

Thanks I will take you up on that.
oliverb
Grafter

FWIW I'm using a 7402G at work and a 7500GL at home.

I'm not currently using QoS though, so I can't really comment on it.

Interestingly Solwise seem to have discontinued the 7402G and 7402R2 and recommend the 7500GL instead.

I think the 7402s had a newer chipset supporting ADSL2+ whereas the 7500GL is only ADSL2 but given the situation in the UK the difference is academic.
N/A

Thanks coaxial... Do you use WPA wireless encryption on your 7402G? Ive been looking through the electronic instructions for this model and in WPA settings there is a "re-authentication" timer. Does this cause the wireless connections to drop out while it re-authenticates? Just I had a zyxel with similar looking settings pages and that had this option, which caused all wireless clients to drop out at the defined interval :?
oliverb
Grafter

I'm using WPA. I'm not aware of the connection dropping. The only wireless issues I've noticed are

1: That a Win98 laptop consistently fails to get an address by DHCP on first connecting and needs refreshing using winipcfg.
2: The same laptop seems unable to see a VPN connection from the 7402 to the 7500. Wired connections see the tunnel OK and a laptop at the 7500 end sees it fine.
3: A laptop running XP appears unable to use WPA2 security. I think WPA2 was added to the routers at version 5.05.