cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billion ADSL2+ modem/router & PlusNet line upgrades

N/A

I have yet to be upgraded by PlusNet and judging by some of the user experiences of the upgrade program so far, I'm quite glad!
Anyway, in preperation for the the (fateful :!: ) day, I need to replace my DM602 as I understand it will not be compatable. So, what to get...
Reading a few concerns about DG834 reliability I've looked elsewhere.

Question 1 :arrow: Does anyone have any experience of Billion ADSL modem/routers? The BiPAC 7300 has caught my eye with some SOHO features. :?:

Question 2 :arrow: Is the PlusNet upgrade program = Max DSL, and does Max DSL = ADSL2/2+ :?:

Many Thanks
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Question 1 - Never used it so I don't know, never had any problems with my DG834G.

Question 2 - It will be an upgrade to MaxDSL, and MaxDSL is just normal Adsl
Community Veteran

Re: Billion ADSL2+ modem/router & PlusNet line upgrades

Reading a few concerns about DG834 reliability I've looked elsewhere.

Is that the DG834GT or DG834/834G? which are actualy different hardware versions.

Many people on here use the netgear 834 and found it very reliable. It is also one of the best home based routers to cope with very low SNR level which is ideal for MaxDSL with its much lower SNR limits.

My DG834 has been one of the best and most reliable routers I have had.
N/A

SNR - now that's something I had not considered before. Seeing as I'm at least a couple of miles from my exchange, this will be important.
My concerns with the DG834 was I read user problems with overheating (perhaps they've fixed that in DG834v2 devices?) and users reverting back to firmware v1.05 because of throughput issues with later firmware versions.
Community Veteran

The v2 (and now v3) devices do not have overheating problems like the original - I've use the v2 version for the past 18 months without any problems.

The latest firmware 3.01.25 has been the most reliable verson I have had for the router and far superior than the 1.05 version. Some may have gone back to the 2.10.XX versions due to sync problems but going back to 1.05 seems strange.

As I stated above, the GT model is actually a different router with different hardware & firmware contrary to what the model name may suggest. This version has had compatibility problems in the past and tents to be less reliable than the DG834/834G model from what I have read.

So I suspect your concerns over the DG834/834G are based on the older models, the newer ones are still one of the best home based routers you can get IMHO.
N/A

I agree, the my DG834Gv2 has been good - and thats on a long and noisy line.
I don't agree with it being generally "better" on long lines - it has a certain encoding function which syncs the line faster but possibly at the expense of stability.

I'm not aware of overheating issues with the DG834/DG834G - however the DG834GT is known to have overheating problems.

I have been looking at Billion routers and am nearly ready to purchase a 7300G but only because of IGMP and QoS support. Apart from that, I cannot fault the netgear.
N/A

Hi gotdsl
Interesting to hear you're also considering the Billion 7300 - the manufacturers spec does look good. Have you managed to find out any reliability or performance details?
N/A

The 7300 does look good - but I'd somehow expect it to be a little more expensive :?

The UK billion forums are very quiet regarding the 7300 (as are the more active Aussie ones) I can only assume that is a good thing? The only issue I came across was one user as suffering from wireless ping "spike" (but disabling windows wireless configuration seemed to clear this).

But it looks very configurable - which is what I like Smiley Apart from that, this is all I know
N/A

BTW - the other product I considered, is the ZyXEL P660H - it has simular features (including QoS). It has been sucessfully tested for IGPM during PlusNets trials.
N/A

Before my netgear I used a 660HW - Without wireless it's a cracking router but the wireless is a bit flakey - especially with WPA enabled. If you're just after a router without wireless capability then the 660H is good.
N/A

Hi,
I don't know about the BiPAC 7300 but I bought a 7402VGP on ebay a week ago for £65 (new). I have only set it up this weekend but so far I am quite impressed with it. It does run quite hot but this is probably normal/ok (compared to my previous Netgear device - but it is more comapact with more features).