cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better value from another ISP?

Liam
Grafter

Am I missing something? Are you looking to leave? If so, why do you need to if the package you are on is offering you value? Have you looked at our new products?

We were one of the first ISPs to offer free overnight usage and still there aren't many others doing this. But when our network is at it's quietest, we're quite happy for customers to download as much as the available network resource allows.
15 REPLIES
FooAtari
Grafter

Does anyone feel that they get better value from another ISP. I'm talking about purely speed and bandwidth here. I am moving house soon so thought I might take the oppertunity to try another ISP. But I cant seem to find anyone that offers what I feel is less restrictive useage.

At the moment I am on Premier Option 1 which gives me 20GB during peak hours of 4pm - 12pm and virtually unlimited between 12am and 4pm.

I am a fairly heavy user, my monthly useage is regualry 60 - 80Gb. I have only once had problems with peak time useage, most of downbloading and heavy use takes place off peak.

I have looked at several ISP's, I wont't name any names (I don't think plus allow that on forums) But have not found anyone that offers the same for the same price.

The best option I have found is one ISP that offered a useage cap for 30gb on peak and 300gb off peak, thats for 24.99 (£3 more than im paying now).

The above looks quite good but their peak hours are from 8am until 10pm, thats 14 hours as opposed to 6 with plus, so I am getting less useage per hour during peak times than I am getting with Plus, if that makes sense. Im getting 10 more Gb (30 against 20) but their peak time is over twice as long (14 against 6)

So has anyone else found another ISP that they feel offers the same or more than Plus does for the a similar price?

(I'm not bothered about support, I rarely need it, and I have had few issues with regards to speed or reliability)
FooAtari
Grafter

I'm not looking to leave as such. I am looking for anything that may offer better value, as my time with Plus has not been problem free. But for the most part I have been happy with the service.

I have seen your new packagaes which seem to fall inline with what most other ISP's are offering which isnt as good as Premier 1 in my opinon.

Just out interest are there any plans at the moment to fornce existing customers to change to the new plans. Say in the next 6 to 12 months? And when I move will I be able to continue with Premier 1?
Liam
Grafter

Absolutely not. If you're happy on Premier, you can stay on it. No plans to force changes on people who are perfectly happy with their current products.

The new products won't be better than current products for everyone. We understand that. The benefit is you get the full usage allowance without the sliding scale management. The downside is the change to the free usage period.
N/A

Well done imartin & CS. A simple and hnest reply - directly addressing the concern.
N/A

Hi Fooatari, if its the isp I am thinking of (sounds like usage and peak times) then the WHOLE weekend is classed as offpeak Smiley
So although their peak time is shorter I think they give a better more useful peak/offpeak ratio.
Just my twopennys..
Community Veteran

The benefit is you get the full usage allowance without the sliding scale management.

Surely the situation is a trifle more complex than that, as certain activities are still assertively managed as per this page however much (or little) of you usage allowance you have got through.
[Not being critical, simply pointing it out]

By the way, can we assume that line speed (allowing for contention) should be available 24/7 on all other activities (e.g. browsing) not mentioned on that page?

paul
HelpingHands-IT
Dabbler

Alternative service suppliers

After having run an IT company for over 5 years using PN as my supplier, I can honestly say that I would rather go back to Dial-up than try most of the other ISPs.

My clients of whom I have over 500 (3000 systems) who I deal with at a personal level are using every major ISP available are slowly but surely moving over to PN due to my increased praise.

I have suffered 3 problem days two of which were BTs fault.

***** Please recognise I have mentioned quite a few companies in the next few paragraphs and this is for a balance and is my own opinion and does not reflect on PN - so please do not delete! ****

I am currently dealing with Orange/Wanadoo/Freeserve clients who are all experiencing email issues since the recent amalgamation. AOL/Talk Talk clients who cannot login for any decent amount of time. BT Clients (and yes I do Know they have just bought PN - hopefully they will look and emulate PN and NOT change it) who after 15:30 receive only half the service provided at 14:00 and after 17:00 receive NO service. I anm situated in the middle of THAMES VALLEY (Bracknell) with every type of connectivity available.

Dell, HP, Netgear, Oracle, Sage, Microsoft UK, BMW UK, Waitrose, Fujitsu and 3M all have their Headquarters within 10 minutes of my front door and so this is a saturated area for techies and technology (and we have big teddy bears to throw when things dont work).

The one thing really missing is a UK CALL CENTRE!!! Sheffield has one! and it belongs to Plus.net This on its own is worth twice the monthly fee I pay for my Premier 2 Plus.net Service (£31.99 per month not including discounts)

Why would you be looking for anyone else? I can assure you (because I personally have rung most of them!) that the other ISPs call centres are missing the understanding of life in the UK and the fact that we are "Time Starved" and truely do not appreciate someone who is quite clearly working from a "crib sheet" and does not have the capability of lateral thought.

Last point!

I pay the cost I pay, for a skilled person of quality at the other end of the phone who can re-act when I explain that I am a techie and I have already carried out the basics prior to ringing and now need to go through the next steps. I would rather pay more monthly than pay a paltry amount til I need the support which is generally not there at the "other" ISPs helplines

In my opinion PN is the "dogs bitz with bells on!" keep em jingling.
FooAtari
Grafter

Having looked around some more, I really cant see anyone that will offer me anything more or even equal to what I get from PN at the same price. I have had few problems from them and consider myself and heavy and demanding users. So I have decided to stay with PN who are now processing my house move.
chrisc
Grafter

Glad to see that you are going to stay Smiley

I've doubled checked the house move ticket and everything is going ahead trouble free.
Bookman
Grafter

So I have decided to stay with PN who are now processing my house move.

As someone who has just migrated to PN after over 12 years with one of the small ISPs I have to say you are doing the right thing!

My previous ISP was great back in the 1990s. It was still technically good at the beginning of the 2000s. But two major changes occurred. The technical side went to pot when customers were "upgraded" from the early broadband to higher speeds. And customer service became very patchy. Put the two of these together and it became time to leave.

PN has been a revelation to me. I should have moved to PN long ago but I was worried about a "fryingpan/fire" scenario, even though I heard good reports about PN. People in the computer business recommended me to use PN but it took me a while to get over inertia.

But now I'm there! Cool
FooAtari
Grafter

Thanks ccotterill!

Yeah mybarnes, I just recommended PN to my brother as I have been pretty happy with service.
chrisc
Grafter

Good to hear! Cheesy

I'm sure that there will be more and more happy customers and new referrals over the coming months!
N/A

If you look at the date on the left, I've been with PN a rather long time. The connection has been entirely reliable through all those years, the only major problem was caused by squirrels sharpening their teeth on my line!

Despite last year's problems, the quality of the service in terms of speed, add-on value and good price has been going up rather than down. Of course I'm not a heavy downloader, my view may be different if I was!

As for support, the few times I needed it, CSC were easy to reach and problems were solved within a reasonable time frame. OK, sometimes after a little nudge through the forums, but that is yet another very good reason to stay with PN

Cheesy
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

And we are trying to keep the CS going in the right direction, yeah we had some problems last year, I think anyone that has been here for a while knows that. However I'm positive we have turned the corner, things are improving and we keep on doing so.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team