cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best setup (line/router) to get higher speeds

pgudge
Grafter

I recently failed the 2mb upgrade due to a poor line. I also failed the original 512kb to 1mb upgrade due to poor line, then 6 months later it passed with flying colours!!!

I have the phone line coming in from the pole, straight to the master socket and the modem is conencted directly to this box. With one phone running through a patchpanel to the lower floor. Is there anything I can improve to attempt another 2mb upgrade process?

Second question is LLU, can the LLU providers offer customers their own services and not be restricted by BT unlike most regular ADSL ISPs (+net, demon, ndo). In otherwords BullDog (LLU Barnsley), would be able to offer me 2mb.
2 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Best setup (line/router) to get higher speeds

I have the phone line coming in from the pole, straight to the master socket and the modem is conencted directly to this box. With one phone running through a patchpanel to the lower floor. Is there anything I can improve to attempt another 2mb upgrade process?

No. The stats are only measured over the line between the DSLAM at the exchange, and your Master Socket. The only way to improve them would be if your master socket were fitted badly, or if you could get BT to actually improve the quality of the physical line. At the end of the day, it's probably your distance from the exchange that causes your line to be unviable. When the technology improves, they may be able to offer you 2Mb. That could take months, or even years.

Second question is LLU, can the LLU providers offer customers their own services and not be restricted by BT unlike most regular ADSL ISPs (+net, demon, ndo). In otherwords BullDog (LLU Barnsley), would be able to offer me 2mb.
Possibly they could offer it to you. Whether or not you could maintain line synch, though....
BT aren't refusing you to be nasty. They are refusing, because they prefer to not offer you a speed that you can't maintain. Your line would drop synch all the time if you were out of specs.
N/A

Indeed, the BT policy is more one of stability, than offering the highest possible speeds (although, that statement could be challenged).

LLU operators use their own equipment, hence the ability to operate at higher speeds. The only thing that remains the same is the line that goes to your house.

Beward though, Bulldog require that you use their own telephone service, through which there are few options to get cheaper calls.