cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best connection method to PlusNet?

N/A

Best connection method to PlusNet?

Hello,

I'm about to be a new ADSL subscriber... just waiting for my line to pass all tests.

While waiting for this to be done, I started looking into the different ways my ADSL router (got a free D-Link 500 from a friend) can establish a connection.

Although I can see I'll easily be able to use NAT and port forwarding on my router to get a small internal web server etc accesible from the outside, I was wanting to play around with a set-up essentially where a server can run NAT, port forwarding and firewall software so I can see how different OS's do it, such as Win2k, RHLinux & NetWare (no that was not a typo)...

To do this with the single IP address I'll be given I think I need to set-up my router for a transparent bridge connection so that I can assign the public IP address to the public port on my server (has 2 nics) but I'm not sure if this is the way to go, or even if PlusNet support this type of configuration.

Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions?

SteveC
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Best connection method to PlusNet?

I have read this post a couple of times and it is still not clear.
You can port forward on the router to any pc and diffrent ports can go to diffrent pcs. So port 80 goes to your webserver and port 21 goes to a ftp server.

The router will pass the port to a specific internal ip so you cant change pcs on the fly or are you trying to pass it all to one pc and the get the pc to act as a router and pass it on down the line?

If you are going to run a webserver you try and keep that seperate from your other pcs so if your hacked there is no conection from the websever to any other pc.

:kill:

> Hello,
>
> I'm about to be a new ADSL subscriber... just waiting for my line to pass all tests.
>
> While waiting for this to be done, I started looking into the different ways my ADSL router (got a free D-Link 500 from a friend) can establish a connection.
>
> Although I can see I'll easily be able to use NAT and port forwarding on my router to get a small internal web server etc accesible from the outside, I was wanting to play around with a set-up essentially where a server can run NAT, port forwarding and firewall software so I can see how different OS's do it, such as Win2k, RHLinux & NetWare (no that was not a typo)...
>
> To do this with the single IP address I'll be given I think I need to set-up my router for a transparent bridge connection so that I can assign the public IP address to the public port on my server (has 2 nics) but I'm not sure if this is the way to go, or even if PlusNet support this type of configuration.
>
> Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions?
>
> SteveC
>

N/A

If you are referring to using the DSL-500 with a no nat configuration, there is an article on the D-link website regarding exactly how to do it.

I think that you can also download the guide from the FTP site ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/pub

Regards

Jon

> Hello,
>
> I'm about to be a new ADSL subscriber... just waiting for my line to pass all tests.
>
> While waiting for this to be done, I started looking into the different ways my ADSL router (got a free D-Link 500 from a friend) can establish a connection.
>
> Although I can see I'll easily be able to use NAT and port forwarding on my router to get a small internal web server etc accesible from the outside, I was wanting to play around with a set-up essentially where a server can run NAT, port forwarding and firewall software so I can see how different OS's do it, such as Win2k, RHLinux & NetWare (no that was not a typo)...
>
> To do this with the single IP address I'll be given I think I need to set-up my router for a transparent bridge connection so that I can assign the public IP address to the public port on my server (has 2 nics) but I'm not sure if this is the way to go, or even if PlusNet support this type of configuration.
>
> Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions?
>
> SteveC
>

N/A

Thanks for your reply Kill...

You're right in saying I haven't explained myself properly.

Basically I was querying whether PlusNet support bridged connections or not, and as far as I can tell the answer is no because PlusNet only support PPPoA - maybe my fundamental understanding of this is wrong...

My reason for the query was that I did not want my D-Link 500 ADSL router/bridge to perform NAT or firewall functions. I want my server to do that for me. Why? Well why not? I'd like to try various software solutions to 'see how they tick'.

My router caters for PPPoA, PPPoE and 'Bridge with RFC 1483' connections.

Because PlusNet don't support bridged connections AFAIK and I'm not getting 4 static IP's (which would be required in a PPPoA no-nat set-up) I don't have a choice but to set the static IP on the router.

If I could set-up the ADSL router to bridge a connection instead, I can simply assign the single IP to my server, and have the ADSL device attached into a second NIC, so I can control all internet activity through my server however I please instead of through the ADSL device.

I found a clearer explaination on the PlusNet Customer Support pages regarding set-up options for ADSL.

Thanks again for your reply.

Cheers,

SteveC

> I have read this post a couple of times and it is still not clear.
> You can port forward on the router to any pc and diffrent ports can go to diffrent pcs. So port 80 goes to your webserver and port 21 goes to a ftp server.
>
> The router will pass the port to a specific internal ip so you cant change pcs on the fly or are you trying to pass it all to one pc and the get the pc to act as a router and pass it on down the line?
>
>
> If you are going to run a webserver you try and keep that seperate from your other pcs so if your hacked there is no conection from the websever to any other pc.
>
> :kill:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm about to be a new ADSL subscriber... just waiting for my line to pass all tests.
> >
> > While waiting for this to be done, I started looking into the different ways my ADSL router (got a free D-Link 500 from a friend) can establish a connection.
> >
> > Although I can see I'll easily be able to use NAT and port forwarding on my router to get a small internal web server etc accesible from the outside, I was wanting to play around with a set-up essentially where a server can run NAT, port forwarding and firewall software so I can see how different OS's do it, such as Win2k, RHLinux & NetWare (no that was not a typo)...
> >
> > To do this with the single IP address I'll be given I think I need to set-up my router for a transparent bridge connection so that I can assign the public IP address to the public port on my server (has 2 nics) but I'm not sure if this is the way to go, or even if PlusNet support this type of configuration.
> >
> > Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions?
> >
> > SteveC
> >
>
>

N/A

I will check that out, but basically I don't think PlusNet support bridged connections.. I suppose I can only try when the line is up.

Thanks for the tip.

> If you are referring to using the DSL-500 with a no nat configuration, there is an article on the D-link website regarding exactly how to do it.
>
> I think that you can also download the guide from the FTP site ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/pub
>
> Regards
>
> Jon
>
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm about to be a new ADSL subscriber... just waiting for my line to pass all tests.
> >
> > While waiting for this to be done, I started looking into the different ways my ADSL router (got a free D-Link 500 from a friend) can establish a connection.
> >
> > Although I can see I'll easily be able to use NAT and port forwarding on my router to get a small internal web server etc accesible from the outside, I was wanting to play around with a set-up essentially where a server can run NAT, port forwarding and firewall software so I can see how different OS's do it, such as Win2k, RHLinux & NetWare (no that was not a typo)...
> >
> > To do this with the single IP address I'll be given I think I need to set-up my router for a transparent bridge connection so that I can assign the public IP address to the public port on my server (has 2 nics) but I'm not sure if this is the way to go, or even if PlusNet support this type of configuration.
> >
> > Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions?
> >
> > SteveC
> >
>
>