cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Speed Tester?

N/A

Best Speed Tester?

Try http://www.numion.com/ the test page there can be set to automatically run tests over a period of time & chart the results. I just compared it to the result from adslguide.co.uk & it matched fairly well, currently between 70 and 100k :eek:.
I'm going to kick it off to test for 5 mins every hour for 24hrs and see what the results are...
8 REPLIES
elton
Grafter

RE: Best Speed Tester?

> I'm going to kick it off to test for 5 mins every hour for 24hrs and see what the results are...

Why?

--
Skonko!
N/A

> > I'm going to kick it off to test for 5 mins every hour for 24hrs and see what the results are...
>
> Why?

Why not?

>
>
> --
> Skonko!
>

elton
Grafter

> > > I'm going to kick it off to test for 5 mins every hour for 24hrs and see what the results are...
> >
> > Why?
>
> Why not?
>
> >
> > --
> > Skonko!
> >
>
Because it's a futile exercise which uses your full bandwidth for the duration of the test. The next time you think your connection speed is not what it should be, you might care to wonder how many people are conducting speed tests, and consequently clogging up the finite capacity of the internet, and PlusNet's pipes in particular, with pointless speed test data.
Ultimately, speed tests of this kind don't prove anything meaningful. All they prove is what your connection speed was to a specific server, at a specific time. This amounts to anecdotal evidence, which as such, should be disregarded. IP packet propagation time is non-deterministic in any case - you can never predict the route of internet traffic, and you can never anticipate the traffic it may be contending with along the route. All you will ever measure, is the average bandwidth over varying and unpredictable paths.
It is pointless to run speed tests, so why run them continuously?

--
Skonko!
chino
Grafter

OH!!!!! BatCat You thick f%£*wit
(soory for the lang to everyone but BatCat)

You are the sort of people that do speed tests all the time and thats why all the servers are over loaded. YOU ARE LIKE A LITTLE KID TESTING 5 MIN EVERY HOUR !!!

Go bad to school

The best speed test is a trace route, if you have problems do a trace route and post it to plus.net.

GO HOME

cUnDaLl
chino
Grafter

I wish i could spell only about 3 errors in the last posting.

cUnDaLl
N/A

Ooooer! That opened a can of worms didn't it?

I think you'll find it's the TeraBytes of copyrighted digital media being illegally copied from one machine to another on the numerous P2P networks that's sapping bandwidth on ADSL and the pipes connecting the rest of the internet too......

> OH!!!!! BatCat You thick f%£*wit
> (soory for the lang to everyone but BatCat)
>
> You are the sort of people that do speed tests all the time and thats why all the servers are over loaded. YOU ARE LIKE A LITTLE KID TESTING 5 MIN EVERY HOUR !!!
>
> Go bad to school
>
> The best speed test is a trace route, if you have problems do a trace route and post it to plus.net.
>
> GO HOME
>
> cUnDaLl

elton
Grafter

> Ooooer! That opened a can of worms didn't it?
>
> I think you'll find it's the TeraBytes of copyrighted digital media being illegally copied from one machine to another on the numerous P2P networks that's sapping bandwidth on ADSL and the pipes connecting the rest of the internet too......
>

It's hardly "sapping bandwith" if you're downloading files you want is it? That's what you're paying for. If you want to run endless speed tests, that's up to you too - you've paid for the privilege. All I'm saying is, it's pointless. You may as well sit and watch paint dry.

And what makes you think that everything shared by p2p is being "illegally copied"? I think the recording industry propaganda is well and truly working on you.

--
Skonko!
N/A

> And what makes you think that everything shared by p2p is being "illegally copied"? I think the recording industry propaganda is well and truly working on you.

Erm, because of what I've seen, not what I've read.... Have you looked on KaZaa, Gnuttella or Napigator recently?

I only ran the speed test over one 24 hr period to see what the speed/time of day profile was. I won't be doing it again, it just proved what I suspected......

>
>
> --
> Skonko!
>