cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Router

jlpappin
Grafter

Best Router

Ok I have a USB modem and want to share my connection. How would I do this or do I need a router. I would prefer a router so that my bro can use the DSL without having to power up my PC etc. SO what router would you guys recommand and how much do you think it would cost?

Thanks
Jason
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

RE: Best Router

> Ok I have a USB modem and want to share my connection. How would I do this or do I need a router. I would prefer a router so that my bro can use the DSL without having to power up my PC etc. SO what router would you guys recommand and how much do you think it would cost?
>
> Thanks
> Jason

Hi Jason
You could just use the Internet Connection Sharing that is bult into windows but I think that you would be much better of with a router.
If you get one of the ones that are a combined router and hub with 4 ports available then you also have the benifit of networking between your combuters and can have up to 4 on the system if you wish.

I have had experience with 2 of the 4 port routers, these being the Netgear and the D-Link.
Of the two I think that the D-Link 504 is slightly easier to set up but both are realy easy.
See the reviews on the Adsl guide

As to cost you will need the router, a couple of network cards and a couble of cat5 cables. It should costs about £120 for everything.

Hope the above helps.

--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
N/A

Hi J

If you want to do a little research before you decide which router is best suited you, there are ranging from £80-£200. I have been using the Solwise SAR715 for quite some time now, it costed about £123 inclusive.

Check out the www.adslguide.org.uk where you can see the reviews on the most popular devices and other very useful ADSL related info.

I hope this helps.

Chi
N/A

It is fairly easy to share the connection for your usb modem - cant advise on routers so here goes with the usb option.

1. Buy a crossover network cable (presuming both comps have network cards)
2. Set the IP on the usb net computers netowrk card to 192.168.0.1 (do this in the tcpip protocol within the properties for the local area connection icon in network properties)
3. on the net computer run the network wizard and SKIP the step to run it on the other machine (not sure if you really need this step)
4. restart and connect machines - run ipconfig in command prompt on the comp you want to connect and check it has an 192.168.0.x ip and you should be away.
5. If you are running firewall on the usb net com then you may need to drop the security a little - i had to drop mine to med in zone alarm to let the traffic through.

Cheers - Chris
jlpappin
Grafter

Thanks for all your help.