cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Modem for ADSL 8MB

N/A

Best Modem for ADSL 8MB

Hello.

My Alcatel Speedtouch USB Stingray is getting a bit old now. I just wondered what's the best modem/router to buy these days? i wanna purchase a good one Smiley

PS: what's the difference between a modem/router? do routers work differently?

Thanks. Smiley
11 REPLIES
N/A

Best Modem for ADSL 8MB

A router is powered independantly of your PC.

It stores all the settings it needs to maintain an internet connection, and remains connected all the time.

A Router also has a good hardware firewall built in, which is a nice bonus.

I personally would recommend the Netgear range, I use a wireless one, DG834GT (v2), previously I had a DG834G (v1) which I was also very happy with.

To give some idea of the best to recommend, could you give some indication of your requirements?
Do you want wireless? If so, what sort of range would you need?
N/A

Best Modem for ADSL 8MB

I totaly agree with the last poster on the DG834GT .. its my first router to and as a complete router newb i can't recommend it enough.
N/A

Best Modem for ADSL 8MB

Yes i use the DG834 and it's a very good modem especially for MaxDSL.
ady
Grafter

Best Modem for ADSL 8MB

all the reviews ive read have pointed to the DG834 as a good router Tongue
N/A

Best Modem for ADSL 8MB

I have had a Netgear DG834GT for a year now and it has been 100% reliable and also serves the 2 kids PC's.

Highly recommended.
N/A

Best Modem for ADSL 8MB

I know of a coupla PN Staffers using various Netgear ones too, not sure what sort of endorsement that is, but hey can't be such a bad thing... :lol:

(PS, You'll likely get it cheaper than the price its up for in the PN shop, so make sure you compare prices before diving in with your beer tokens)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Best Modem for ADSL 8MB

Before jumping in with a Netgear have a look at this thread
http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,3550.0.html
For what its worth I found the best router for a long line is the Speedtouch due to its configurability.
N/A

Best Modem for ADSL 8MB

ok, thanks alot everyone Smiley
pennbank
Grafter

Best Modem for ADSL 8MB

Personally find BT Voyager 2100 now replaced with 2110 to be reliable, extremley easy to set up
N/A

Best Modem for ADSL 8MB

Hiya,
Did have a BT Voyager 2100 which wasn't bad but now have a Zoom X5V. Its not wireless (have plugged in a separate access point now so still have wireless network) but it does have voip built in so you can plug all your normal phones into it and make calls via plustalk, sipgate etc as easily as a normal call. Cheap to, about £30 on ebay.
Mine supports 3 PCs, one PDA, one network printer and a wireless access point with no problems.
Jules
N/A

Best Modem for ADSL 8MB

I have a long line and use a Linksys now. I did use a Netgear but it had the nasty habit of going into negative figures and losing the connection every night. That was a DG834G and I don't know if the GT has the same problems. The GT uses a different chipset to the G so it may not.

I prefer the Netgear though so if a better firmware is introduced I'll go back to it.
As for the Speedtouch, it has a big advantage in that you can set your own SNR to some extent using the dmt tool, but I think the GT has the same facility. Not the G though.