cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Belkin modem / wireless G router F5D7632-4 loses connection

N/A

This is driving me nuts. I just got a brand new Belkin modem / router after my old one died after 2 years of perfect service. I have plugged in this new one and can only stay connected for a few minutes before all Internet connectivity fails. I have to reboot the router to get connected again only for the same thing to happen 2 minutes later.

The weird thing is the only connection type that gives me an active connection is PPPOE. I know that Plusnet uses PPPOA but I am unable to get a connection that way. I have tried manually setting the various IP addresses for DNS, static IP etc. as well as the assigned by ISP method but still no luck.

I even tried Static IP (IPoA) protocol but still no joy.

I tried disabling the firewall on the router but that made no difference.

I've checked the firmware and it's up to date. I've tried a wired connection and a wireless connection - same results.

Can anyone make any suggestions other than this new router is a piece of garbage? I've configured many routers in the past and this is the worst trouble I've come across.

Thanks,

Jeff
26 REPLIES
N/A

Don't know if you really want to hear this, but I have one of those and it's absolutely rock solid. I also have a mate with the same router (he got it when he heard how good mine was) and likeways, his never drops.

Makes me wonder if you've got a 'duff' one.

The only other thing I can think of is that the full model number on mine is F5D7632uk4. You didn't mention the 'uk' bit in your post. Is it possible you have a non-UK spec one?

Ignore me if I'm talking rubbish.

Cheers

Mick
N/A

Thanks for replying.

You're making me jealous!

Mine is a UK one. It says ver 3011uk on the bottom and f5d7632uk4a on the packaging.

Are you using PPPOA? Is it picking up all the ISP settings by itself?

Jeff
N/A

Worked straight out of the box (once i'd changed the IP address to match my existing network)

I used the wizard with the automatic PVC scan. It picked up the right info, and away we went. All I had to do was enter the account name and password.

And it is set to PPPoA.

Don't know what to suggest really, as I think it's a great piece of kit - far better than my previous router. It's even made my line stats better, and the wireless signal is much stronger as well.

As I say, all I can surmise is that you've either got a bad 'un, or there's something wrong with the line itself.

Cheers

Mick
N/A

There are quite a few firmware upgrades to this router. Try those.
If you are trying to do VPN access then you will definitely need the firmware.

I ended up ringing Belkin and they upgraded me FOC to a 7633 router.

I still have problems on VPN though. I have to reauthenticate evry 10 minutes...
N/A

I've spent most of the weekend on the phone to Belkin support. I've lost count of how many times I've been told to do a factory reset, re-enter the login details etc. etc. Last night I lost patience and demanded a replacement. I am now waiting to hear from a technical manager who will "try a few more things"!!

I got BT to do a line check, I asked Plusnet to check my account and all is fine (my old modem works perfectly). The security log of the router says:

08/01/2003 00:49:24 ATM1 start PPP
08/01/2003 00:49:24 If(ATM1) PPP fail : Timeout in LCP negotiation

Date and time are wrong as it is unable to connect to time servers on the Internet.

I've set up plenty of routers in the past and never had trouble like this but I guess they still need to run through their standard checks before authorising a replacement.

The weird thing is that the status page is showing the connection speed and saying it is connected but the main status notifier at the top right is in bold red text "No Connection". Protocol, username, password, VC MUX are all correct but still no joy.

I checked the Belkin website for a more up to date firmware but I couldn't see any more recent than the one I have. Sad

I'm convinced the router is faulty.

Jeff
N/A

Hi All,

The end of my tether approaches! I have just received a replacement router for the previous "faulty" one and guess what? Yep, same issue.

Is it possible that there is something causing compatibility issues between my router and the telephone line? Is there something in my new house that the F5D7632-4 doesn't like?

Just to recap:

Moved house early Dec05.
Used the same Belkin router that had worked fine for 2 years in new house.
Original router worked fine until the power supply went bad in the last couple of weeks.
I received the F5D7632-4 as a replacement.
Couldn't connect to the Internet using usual plusnet settings.
Tried everything - called BT, spoke to Plusnet, spoke to Belkin support - no joy.
Returned the replacement and asked for a 2nd replacement!
Replacement arrived and has the same issues!
The router seems to detect the line and speed but refuses to connect (see screenshot).
Wired or wireless has the same results - no connection to Internet.
Trusty old ADSL modem works fine using same settings (I'm using it now).

When I tried a PPPOE connection, it connects for a few seconds but then the connection dies. Only once did I get the PPPoa connection to work but it lasted a few seconds and died. The idle time is set to zero. MTU at 1454.

What could possibly be causing this trouble?

HELP!!!

Jeff
N/A

I just whipped the telephone cable out of my modem while it was connected and plugged it into the router. Within seconds, I had a connection - weird. I've got one PC running a continuous ping and the connection seems to be staying alive (not a BeeGee in sight).

I checked the ADSL stats page and got these stats:

ADSL Status Information

Configured
Current

Line Status
---
QUIET1

Link Type
---
Fast Path

Date Rate: Data Rate
Stream Type
Actual Data Rate

Up Stream
0 (Kbps.)

Down Stream
0 (Kbps.)

Operation Data / Defect Indication: Operation Data
Operation Data
Upstream
Downstream

Noise Margin
25 dB
28 dB

Attenuation
62 dB
50 dB

Defect Indication
Indicator Name
Near End Indicator
Far End Indicator

Fast Path FEC Correction

Interleaved Path FEC Correction

Fast Path CRC Error

Interleaved Path CRC Error

Loss of Signal Defect
---

Fast Path HEC Error

Interleaved Path HEC Error

Statistics: Statistics
Received Cells

Transmitted Cells

Does this lot highlight potential causes for my problems?

Thanks,

Jeff
N/A

I'm still connected. Forgive the number of posts, I'm just trying to provide as much info as possible. I am afraid that if I cancel the continuous ping, the connection will die again.

Line stats now read:

Upstream - 288 Kbps
Downstream - 1152 Kbps

Noise Margin
Upstream 25 dB
Downstream 20 dB

Attenuation
Upstream 62 dB
Downstream 50 dB
N/A

As predicted, stopping the continuous ping caused the connection to die after a few seconds and the router was unable to re-connect.

I have discovered that if I use the good old BT Voyager 105 ADSL modem to connect then unplug the phone line and plug it into the router, the router is able to connect. That seems ludicrous to me. It's as if I need the modem to "jump start" the connection for the router! As long as I have a continuous ping to an IP address on the Internet, the connection stays alive. As soon as the ping is interrupted, the connection dies.

This makes me think the idle time is set too low but Belkin told me that setting it to zero disables the idle time. And anyway, I have the idle time checkbox unchecked!

None of the above explains why the router is unable to establish its own connection.

That's my latest findings. I hope someone out there can help.

Thanks for reading!

Jeff
N/A

Just noticed that your router is actually different to mine. it's a uk4a rather than a uk4.

The difference appears to be that yours will do ADSL2+. Is it possible that the setting that relate to ADSL2+ are wrong (i.e. 'on')?

I don't know what these settings would be, as obviously I don't have them myself

Don't know if this helps
N/A

Thanks for replying.

I haven't seen any mention of ADSL2+ in the configuration. Maybe my line is too slow for the router to work? I can only get 1mb in my area apparently.

Could this be a reason for the problems?

Jeff
firmager
Grafter

Thanks for replying.

I haven't seen any mention of ADSL2+ in the configuration. Maybe my line is too slow for the router to work? I can only get 1mb in my area apparently.

Could this be a reason for the problems?

Jeff

I wouldn't see that being a problem even if you're modem is capable of coping with ADSL2+

I've got the F5D7633uk4, which I would've guessed is near enough identical and mine works perfectly! Sorry this isn't much help, but maybe you should try replacing it, it could just be faulty :?
N/A

That's just it. This is the replacement! The first one had the same trouble.

Jeff
kosh2
Grafter

What connection rate are you getting at the PC. Also, I note that you have security on. Have you tried with it off?