cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Belkin 802.11g ADSL Router

N/A

Can anyone point me in the right direction and tell em where I can get all the information that I need to get my new Belkin 802.11g ADSL Router up and running with a fixed IP addressHuh??

Are there any posts on this site, or does anyone have the specific configuration information?

Thanks,

Christian
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

As the IP address is assigned by the ISP (PlusNet) it will just use what it is given, you should not have to configure it to do so.

There may be lots of other things to configure but the fixed IP address should not be one of them.

Unless I have misunderstood what you were asking for?
N/A

I want to be able to see my home newtork from outside my home. I want to be able to access it from work, and I want to be able to host a website, and a mail server if I choose. I thought there was a specific configuration proces that I have to go through. It is of course possible, that I don't have to and that it will default to a static address - in other workds I've confused things more than they need to be!

In which case - that's the endof the subject, however, I'm still trying to get the router configured - so any help with that would be greatly appreciated!
N/A

Be sure you know all the security issues before trying to do what you suggest.
Mail server is not that much of a problem, web server is more a problem and opening your home network to the outside is "arghhhhh".
Community Veteran

EMail and web should not be a problem although accessing email collected by one of your home network systems from outside your home network may be difficult to setup securely. For the web you need to look at port forwarding config in the router (see the manual) . i.e. allow any connection on port 80 (and 443 for https) to your static IP address (supplied by Plusnet) to be forwarded to an IP address on your local network (normally 192.168.x.x) which is running your web server. You probably also need to allow FTP access (port 21) so the same port forwarding needs to be done to an FTP server on one of your home network PCs.

Allowing other types of access from outside your local net is not recommended and prone to hacking. There are ways to do it using VPN (virtual private networking) but it requires software being run on the systems on your local network and you having special software on the PC you intend to access your home network from.

As said above, unless you fully understand the security implications and understand how to correctly configure your router and systems on your local network you WILL be suseptable to hacking or someone breaking into your local network. Web access should not be a problem, other services can be.
N/A

Thanks guys - I also read some stuff on the support pages which explained it a little better. I think I'm getting the hang of it!

Cheers...