cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Before committing to Broadband Home

SheffieldMike
Grafter

I'm currently using a 56K dialup connection (PlusNet Connect Standard) and I'm thinking hard about upgrading to broadband. I hope you can answer some of my concerns.

As a long-standing PlusNet customer, do I get treated any differently to a brand-new first time customer for Broadband Home?

At the moment I get a domain name 'for free' via my Connect Standard account. Can I take this with me to a PlusNet Broadband Home contract? Will I still get the domain name free or am I going to be charged for the privilege??

Since the main use of the connection (as now) will be via my laptop - which also goes out to work with me - I will be connecting and disconnecting most if not all days. Does this have any implications for using an "always-on" broadband connection??

Thanks for your help -

Mike of Sheffield

Moderators note (John) Title changed from all Capitals as its akin to shouting
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Before committing to Broadband Home

As a long-standing PlusNet customer, do I get treated any differently to a brand-new first time customer for Broadband Home?

Both current and future customers are treated the same. There are no special privaledges for being an existing PlusNet customer.

At the moment I get a domain name 'for free' via my Connect Standard account. Can I take this with me to a PlusNet Broadband Home contract? Will I still get the domain name free or am I going to be charged for the privilege?Huh

I see no reason why you can't take it with you. No idea if it will remain free, but I suspect you may be charged £1/month for your domain

Since the main use of the connection (as now) will be via my laptop - which also goes out to work with me - I will be connecting and disconnecting most if not all days. Does this have any implications for using an "always-on" broadband connection?Huh

Broadband is only available from your BT phone line, it does not travel with you. If you are away for extended periods you will have to disconnect your ADSL modem equipment and use the 56k dialup facility for which you will be charged call costs - the dialup connections are not free.

Not being connected to your ADSL service all the time does not matter, but you are still charged for it during the times it is not being used.
SheffieldMike
Grafter

Thanks Peter for your helpful response. :lol:

Can anyone clarify re my (currently-free) domain name? Is this going to remain free or am I going to get charged extra?? :roll: :roll:

Mike of Sheffield.