cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Before buying a wireless modem/router

N/A

Anybody who's thinking about buying the new Belkin wireless modem/router would be well advised to check out the adslguide.org.uk forum where there are currently lots of people with the same problems as me. I'm on my second one and neither of them worked properly.

1. No wireless.
2. System date can't be changed from January 2002.
3. Doesn't negotiate port sessions properly ( if that's the right terminology) means you have to do all sorts of port forwarding for e.g. hotmail and smtp to name but two.
4. Has to be re-booted regularly to keep it half-working.

Worst thing I've done this year was buy one and second worst was buying it from Dabs.com :x

EDIT - Problems now sorted :lol:
14 REPLIES
N/A

Sorry to hear your trouble.

I have been using the BT Voyager 2000 wireless Router/Modem for about 4 months. I am so pleased with it after spending months trying to get ICS to work thro' main computer and no router.

I would suggest the router/modem is the best option for ADSL connection and much better than a straight modem.

It does everything itself and no software is needed to an ethernet connection (main PC in same room) and works a treat with Belkin USB wireless adaptors on other computers.

All available on popular E auction site.

Cheesy
N/A

:?: Can I get some advice too please....

I'm pretty tech on pc's in general, but considered buying a NetGear Cable/DSL Broadband Wireless Router. Now the title makes me think that it should just be able to connect to Plus.net in a straightforward way... right? Nothing else needed?

Checking out the diagram on the back of the pack indicates (in a tiny diagram) that I need a Cable/DSL modem as well. Thing is I am trying to replace my current Binatone (plus.net supplied, as usb keeps rebooting!).

Any advice?
Community Veteran

Get a netgear DG834G then: ADSL modem, router, 4 port switch, wireless, firewall.
N/A

Thanks - good advice, it's just so irritating that places like PC World emply chimps for staff who know nothing. - at least I am not paid to know anything!

Any recommendations on a combined bit of kit other than the NetGear that combines modem, router, wireless access and a firewall in 1?
N/A

The linksys - http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ShopGroupID=38&CategoryID=80&ProductID=854

Is one that I'm looking at as a replacement. To date I haven't found any negative write ups and the reviews at the bottom of the above link all seem OK.

Wish I'd done a bit more homework before I bought the Belkin. Dabs say they 'don't do refunds' and will only consider refunding my money after they have examined the router and their engineer has confirmed that it is faulty. Trouble is that it isn't faulty in a strict sense, it just doesn't work. That's how it was made....
N/A

Glide, If the title does not say 'Modem' beware. See my previous post and try here:-

http://www.voyager.bt.com/ Has it all including firewall.
G.L. :lol:

>>Any recommendations on a combined bit of kit other than the NetGear that combines modem, router, wireless access and a firewall in 1?
N/A

Got the Netgear one about 10 days ago and very happy with it. Bought a Netgear Wireless USB adaptor to use with work's laptop (sshhh don't tell the boss) and its great.

I'm not pc expert but it was all setup in about 10 mins
N/A

Final update and a re-assessment of the Belkin router.

I finally managed to install a firmware update by using my laptop on an ethernet port. It would not install from my desktop. The difference = desktop is 10Mbps and the Laptop 100Mbps. No idea why it matters but it worked. It has solved all problems.

The wireless connection now works having changed a Linksys pcmcia 54g card for a belkin one. Who said it was a 'standard'.

At the end of it all I have a working wireless network. The support from Belkin was polite, well intentioned but at the end of the day ineffective. Linksys (Cisco) support is non existent - buy their stuff and you're on your own boy and finally Dabs won't be getting any more custom from me until the time that they are the only supplier in the world of something I need.
N/A

netgear dg834guk - looking for wireless card

Hi, Just bough netgear DG834uk,,

Can anybody confirm that the

Netgear WG511T 108Mbps Super G Wireless Cardbus Adapter

best card to buy for wireless connection to my laptop for are there other alternative cards

sonny
Highlighted
mitchell20
Grafter

Re: netgear dg834guk - looking for wireless card

Hi, Just bough netgear DG834uk,,

Can anybody confirm that the

Netgear WG511T 108Mbps Super G Wireless Cardbus Adapter

best card to buy for wireless connection to my laptop for are there other alternative cards

sonny

The Netgear DG834G will only support 11 and/or 54Mbps wireless conections . I use a Netgear 54Mbps WG511 which works with no problems (get between 40 - 54Mbps with normal use). The WG511T will work (I would think) but only at 54Mbps max.

Maybe a future firmware upgrade for the DG834G would allow 108Mbps :?:
N/A

I went for Belkin modem/router. Works fine for me. However, the best thing about Belkin is there support. Had two pretty major (for me) probs and their support staff sorted them out in two shakes. Seemed to be v proffesional, knowledgable and (most imp) quick to answer the phone.
N/A

Belkin ADSL Modem with built-in wireless router

I purchased the above about 4 weeks ago. Set it up straight from the box and all appeared to be well. However, I still have intermittent problems sending emails – sometimes they will not go at the time, but will go without problem at other times of the day (especially early morning and evening). Longer emails plus replies to received messages tend to stay in the outbox for hours. Error message I receive is usually “connection timed out”.

Also, I have similar problems when browsing – initial pages come up easily, but moving on through a site (e.g. searching on e-bay) can again lead to connection timing out.

Any suggestions?
N/A

It's possibly shipping now with the "working" firmware. On the routers' home page the runtime code should be - " V.A.1.04.03UK (Jan 6 2004 16:01:56) "
If so and you haven't done a firmware upgrade then this must be the case. Originally mine was version 0.77.

I had problems with -
1. Sending email - not timing out as such but something vaguely like error 0800cc08B.
2. Router time/date not updating. Meant I couldn't access one of the forums I follow because it wouldn't validate me with a system date of 1st Jan 2002.
3. Inability to access hotmail.
plus others several other problems- all resolved by the firmware update.

oh and it would not work with a Linksys pcmcia card which I changed for a Belkin which works fine.
N/A

Sincere thanks to "longedge" and the support team for help and advice. Instructions followed and all now appears to be well!