cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic SMTP setup question ?

N/A

:?:

Just need some basic help with SMTP >>> I have a static IP address and this is assigned to my router...I have enabled port forwarding (SMTP: 25) to the internal LAN IP of my exchange server. Now as far as domain mai config is concerned, this is what I have done > Under the 'Domain Names' section of my portal I have set the following:

'Mail Settings' set to 'Other - I wish to specify DNS records for mail to this domain'
'Domain Hosting Settings' set to 'Other - I wish to specify DNS records for hosts under this domain'

The records for this are set thus:
Left field Type Pri Right field
bidgroup.co.uk a 81.174.163.243
mx 5 mail.bidgroup.co.uk.

Also under 'Email settings' > Configure Mailboxes' > SMTP...I have selected SMTP and entered my Static IP..

Does all this look correct ?

Many many thanks in advance guys - appreciate it

Craig
5 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

Have you defined an A record for mail.bidgroup.co.uk?
benoh
Grafter

Dont add any extra records, change it to "I will use SMTP" and enter your IP address, that way we will still store your email if your server is unavailable and you can dequeue them using "finger postmaster@autoturn.plus.net"
N/A

This account is being setup for my workplace. The following is how I have my 'own' DNS/mail records setup for my own Plus Net account:

ftp a 81.174.144.149
arcadianz.co.uk a 81.174.144.149
scoop a 81.174.144.149
ts a 81.174.144.149
mx 5 mail.arcadianz.co.uk.

and this seems to work just fine with my exchange box at home... I have simply replicated the setup. We are actually awaiting the transfer in of our works domain (www.bidgroup.co.uk) and this was suppose to take a max of 48hrs (it has been WELL over this now)...the name servers have only just updated yet I STILL cannot ping either www.bidgroup.co.uk OR mail.bidgroup.co.uk

many thanks

Craig
painswck
Grafter

Looking at various Nominet records it would look as if you have just changed to PlusNet for this domain. The ns at Nic seems to be showing pipex and shelnet as the name servers for the domain. Whois shows the records have been updated today.

If the change of nameservers is correct it may take 24 hours until the correct IP address is returned.
N/A

yup...guess will just have to wait...bah!

cheers matey Smiley