cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandwidth tests - slow connection speeds

N/A

:shock:
The ADSL500 service is supposed to be 576kbps download and 288kpbs upload.

Recently I have been getting download connection speeds of no more than 300kbps from plusnet's bandwidth tester.

When I first installed the broadband modem, the speed tester on this site was returning max speeds of +550kbps download.

I have tried using other testers such as on the ADSLguide website with similar results.

Tweaking my systems' networking settings does not improve the download speeds.

Downloading files from the plusnet filevault maxes at 40kB/s. (the maximum should be 72kB/s).

As a paying customer, I would like to get the most out of this service. I would like to know if anyone else is having similar complaints, and of course any recommendation on resolving the problem.

Thnaks and regards.

Andy
16 REPLIES
N/A

See the topic 'speed/connection issues over the past few days' page 2.
Try the bt speedtester (this checks out bt's part of the line) and
let us know your results, you need to take the test at least 3 times,once
every half hour.
I've had no luck connecting to this site maybe you might.
N/A

First off, ADSL is not 576/288

These are the ATM line speeds. On top of these include the ATM overheads, giving you an efective real data transfer speed on 512/256. Further on top you have the IP header overheads.

This again reduces the actual ammount of human usable data obtained.

The actual maximum data transfer possible on ADSL (which you will very likely not reach) is 64KB/s.

This is well documented, and I sugest reading information provided on the ADSL Guide speed checker, which states this.

I also refer you to THIS FAQ why speed checkers are unreliable.

You are best performing the speed test as noted above, this is BT's new official speed test. You should perform it three times a day, no closeer than 30 mins apart, however, spread them accross the day so contention can be ruled out.

You can also perform traceroutes (keep a copy of the output). A good site to trace is www.google.com.

There are reports that a specific gateway within PlusNet is acting slow, however PlusNet have not been able to see anything wrong. Traces are clearly showing a differance, however, they are one sided. Your traces may help in prooving or disprooving this.

Once you have performed some tests, make sure you reboot your router / disconnect and reconnect your modem (if PCI, a machine reboot, also required with some USB modems).

This may shift which gateway you use at PlusNet.

Can I ask what connection equipment you are using?

If USB:
Do you have anything else connected to USB?
Are you running any CPU intensive applications?
What is your CPU speed?
Are you on a VIA chipset?

If PCI:
Are you running any CPU intensive applications?
What is your CPU speed?

In general:
Have you run the MTU tweak tool?
N/A

Just an afterthought, but a common cause of slow connections is virus/trojan infection. You won't get a good transfer speed if the circuit is being hammered by an unauthorised app :?
N/A

I have tried the network traffic sensors, as you indicated in the FAQ section, and am maxing at 31kB/s.

Below is my recent plusnet bandwidth tests:

Date Speed Achieved (kbps)
15-10-2003 00:41:49 341.6
15-10-2003 00:35:31 286.9
15-10-2003 12:08:49 220.6

I am running a P3 850MHz notebook which has 2 USB ports.
I am connected via a Bintone500 USB modem.
I have 4 USB devices connected (mouse, floppy, CDRW & Modem) but the modem is connected directly into the machines first USB port, the other devices are on a USB extension adapter to the second USB port (these devices are not in use when i do a test, however still hard connected to the system.

I have used Spybot D&D to remove all known spy / trojan software, as suggested in atomiks post.

I have re-installed the ADSL modem driver, checked all cables and confirmed that synch is ok.

I am not sure about my CPU running any intensive programs, but when carry out the test, i have only my browser running. plus the normal background processes and services in windows XPpro.
I am also unsure what chipset is used.

I will try some more tests and try to eliminate all the possible problems or conflicts.

But can you explain if the speeds i have stated above are considered as low or normal for an ADSL512 connection and should I have any reason to complain?
N/A

Can you quickly confirm if your have installed Service Pack 1 or 1a?
N/A

You are best performing the speed test as noted above, this is BT's new official speed test.

Can you give us the URL for this speed tester please?

Thanks,

Tim
N/A

Follow the instructions noted on THIS post from Ian Wild.

Note, the link given is his post, may be wrong.

If it fails, use THIS link instead f the one ian provides.
N/A

Your speed test results are pretty low and you do have something to
complain about you should be getting about 60KB/s for your connection.
Sure speed test aren't always accurate but at some point during the day
when lines are'nt that busy you should be able to achieve this.
I always find the Plusnet test and ADSL Org test to be pretty accurate (or consistent) most of the time.
The Other point is that you used the word 'recently' in your first post.
By this I assume that things were better before so what happened
to change this, a virus ? unlikely your antivirus would have picked it up and
you would have other problems in your system, your motherboard chipset ?
well you would have had problems from day one. Your CPU ? again you
would have had problems from day one. BT's recent works regarding
MTU problems ? maybe but that was quite a few weeks back.
Plusnets recent problems with their bandwidth suplliers and emergency works ? Maybe.
If you are able to take the bt test it would test the line before it gets to
Plusnet then if a problem plusnet could report it to BT.
N/A

Can you quickly confirm if your have installed Service Pack 1 or 1a?

I have Windows XP Pro with service pack SP1 installed.

I have automatic updates switched on, so i assume i have all the current software.

When I first installed the broadband modem about a month ago, I ran a few tests and continuously got >500kbps from plusnet's bandwidth tester.

That was under windows ME.
Since then, I have installed windows XP pro-SP1 because of the P2P connection limitations under ME.
I admit I havn't carried out any speed tests since i updated to XP until now. and being a new ADSL user, i didnt really notice that the speeds were lower than they shoud be.

Does Windows XP have any inherent problems with data transfer rates?
N/A

Additionally,
I am unable to connect to the BT Site:

http://speedtester.bt.com

I tried using the folloing details (as indicated in ianwild's post under the Customer Feedback forum)

user name: 'speedtest@speedtest_domain'
Password : '<none>'

I was able to establish a connection to the ISP but was not able to connect to the BT site.

I then tried to open the BT site using my own Plusnet user name and password which also did not work.

Is the syntax i used correct?
Maybee this inability to connect to BT is part of my problem.

Now I am thinking that my some settings are not correct on my system.

The Plusnet connection guide gives information on setting up a dial up connection in win XP but there is no information on USB port settings or Line type settings or port baud rates.
I have tried tweaking, but being a bit of a thickie in these matters, I don't really understand what i am changing.

Is there a definitive guide which explains all the dial up networking settings for the layman.

[Moderator's note (by acarr): Deleted duplicate post]
N/A

One thing I did notice was that after I connected, it did take about a min before accessing the page was possible. I don't know if this was a machine thing, or while things where setup properly, however, it did.

You shouldn't need to touch any of the baud setting from the defaults for the modem. Doing so may affect your performance.

You should have you setting on automatic everything with only TCP/IP enabled.

Have you ever done or performed any speed tweaking in the past, before ADSL use, other than the MTU tweak on the PlusNet site?
N/A

I can't connect either and I'm using a USB modem the only thing that
support told me was that you have to set DNS to be server assigned
but with a USB modem I would have thought that this is automatically server
assigned ,anybody elses thoughts on this would be appreciated.
With reference to your comments on XP Pro I use it and its a super fast
operating system its a bit more CPU intensive but I also
recently had a fujitsu laptop PIII 850 and it came bundled with XP pro
and was very fast.
N/A

Additionally,
I am unable to connect to the BT Site:

http://speedtester.bt.com

Try using the IP address instead - http://217.35.209.142 or http://217.32.105.42.

Tim
N/A

Thanks, I have been able to connect now, I did not set DNS to auto in the dialup settings which was causing me to not connect to the BT site.

BT speed tester returned speed of <250kbps.
They stated that this value was within acceptable tolerances.

This topic is being discussed on another thread regarding the BT test site.

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11064