cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandwidth limits??????

N/A

Bandwidth limits??????

Does it cost the supplier more if you download alot? The whole idea of Broadband was the always on, always there facility.

I read that BT had dropped their prices but to have what I have now, 512 unlimited, I would have to get the 512 plus premier package at the same cost.

PlusNet saves and I don't !!!!!! Sad
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Bandwidth limits??????

All bandwidth costs money so clearly the more you use the more it costs the ISP. That is why PlusNet have the premier package, for those who do use a lot of bandwidth so they can do so a very reasonable price.

The reason PlusNet and some other ISPs can offer lower costs is due to a new charging method that BT have introduced which gives more flexibility to the ISP in what they charge. It is called Capacity Based Charging and all the new Broadband home products use this charging method.

I am somewhat confused by your last statement. Are you on PlusNet or BT? If BT then yes, PlusNets premier packages are unlimited bandwidth.

Also none of the premier package prices have changed recently so I'm not sure what you mean by 'PlusNet saves and I don't'. The cost for 1Mb ADSL has beed reduced to start at just £14.99 instead of £23.99 so I don't see how those users have not saved money on their connection. I think you need to clarify what you think has happened so we can all understand.
N/A

Bandwidth limits??????

Sorry it confused me a little.

I meant that BT have reduced their charges to suppliers yet my PlusNet package at the mo' costs 21.99 per month, annual contract with unlimited usage. To get that package now costs the same ie 512 with Premier.

To take advantage of the lower prices I need to get a package that means I worry whenever someone in the house is on the net because it could be costing more money ie back to the bad old days of dial up.

I only save money if I take a gamble.
N/A

Bandwidth limits??????

Sorry it confused me a little.

I meant that BT have reduced their charges to suppliers yet my PlusNet package at the mo' costs 21.99 per month, annual contract with unlimited usage. To get that package now costs the same ie 512 with Premier.

To take advantage of the lower prices I need to get a package that means I worry whenever someone in the house is on the net because it could be costing more money ie back to the bad old days of dial up.

I only save money if I take a gamble.
Community Veteran

Bandwidth limits??????

You are on an old package which has not changed in features or cost and that is how it should be. PlusNet don't automatically move you to the new broadband home products, you have to request a change if you want to move. If you do want to move you have to pay an admin fee as detailed in ADSL Upgrade Guide.

You can asses your broadband usage by clicking on Connection Settings -> view my usage. It also contains a summary of previous months if you click the link atthe bottom of that page. From that you can decide if chosing a usage limited product will save you money.

Only you can judge if a limited usage product will meet your requirements or not.
N/A

Bandwidth limits??????

At the end of the day you need to work out what package is best for you, have a look at your monthly usage for a few months and see what you use in total. Then you can decide what package will best fit you.

As for pricing surely you can see why someone who downloads 60+ gig a month cant have a 1meg line for £14.99 as this will probably cost PN more that £14.99 to run. Its only fair after all that people that dont use much dont pay as much as people who use a lot, and at the end of the day I salute PN for having an unlimited option.
N/A

Bandwidth limits??????

did'nt realise that it cost the company more to download more. I thought that the broadband idea of always on meant that the line was there whether you had 1 gig or 100 gig a month.

I stand corrected