cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandwidth Hogging

Fixes: 115

Bandwidth Hogging

I have a Solwise SAR130 which is connected to a 5-port Ethernet switch.

I have three PCs connected to this but what I have noticed is that one PC seems to hog the bandwidth. Even when other PCs are already downloading something and I start a download on this one PC it appears to gain the most bandwidth.

If it is already downloading the other two PCs don't get so much bandwidth.

The hogging PC has interna; IP xxx.yyy.zzz.2 and the other two are xxx.yyy.zzz.3 & xxx.yyy.zzz.4 respectively.

Do these IP addresses make a difference to which PC gains the bandwidth first - I never thought that way?

Cheers

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

9 REPLIES
N/A

Bandwidth Hogging

The IP addresses shouldn't make any difference.

Are you downloading the same sort of thing on each of the machines? If PC1 is using P2P and the others are using HTTP/email PC1 will get the lions share as the P2P app will have many (perhaps many many) active connections against the browser/emailer's one or two connections. Also, P2P will saturate youe outbound bandwidth if you don't tell it not too (most BotTorrent clients have an option to limit outgoing data rates, I don't know about other protocol's clients) which will throttle your incoming bandwidth as acknowledgements of received packets get queued behind all the P2P traffic. The usual recommendation is that you set and P2P apps to about 80% of your upsteam limit (about 23Kb/s on a 256kbps link).

You could do what I've done and sit a small Linux box between the router and your network (on a basic switch) and do some traffic shaping, but that requires a little expert knowledge (I've not seen any user-friendly tools to manage this sort of thing that are actually any good) and shaping the *incoming* data is very hit-and-miss as you don't control the buffers at BT/PN's side of the link. Helps a lot with controlling outgoing though.

I don't know if you can get routers that perform some sort of traffic shaping, though if you can they will no doubt be expensive (unless you can get one of the "upgradable" ones and use one of the Linux base open source firmware replacements)

Bandwidth Hogging

I did expect PC1 to hog the bandwidth while using P2P but expected all PCs to share equally at other times.

I don't think I will get into traffic shaping as I think it is beyond me at present.

It's not a major problem but rather a minor niggle when someone is downloading on PC2 or 3 and I start a download on my PC and they lose speed.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

N/A

Bandwidth Hogging

I did expect PC1 to hog the bandwidth while using P2P but expected all PCs to share equally at other times.

Have you tried switching what is being downloaded where. It might be that "content2" will also download slower on PC1 while PC2 is downloading "content1". If the server(s)/network(s) sending content1 are cabable of sending to you faster (either as they have more bandwidth, their bandwidth is less contended, PN has a more direct and/or less congested route to them, or some combination of the above) then the traffic buffers at BT/PN may fill with it's content at the expense of the other streams if the total able to be sent is more then you are able to download.

It's not a major problem but rather a minor niggle when someone is downloading on PC2 or 3 and I start a download on my PC and they lose speed.

The *will* lose speed if the bottleneck is your link, something at your exchange, or somewhere within PN. Have you run anything like http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/nsl.htm to see exactly how much difference is seen (don't trust Internet Explorer's displayed download rate as it will be too inaccurate for the purposes of this check) - you might find it to me more-or-less as expected (i.e. it falls by about 50% if it is the only downloaded before PC1 starts something).
JaM3z
Grafter

Bandwidth Hogging

Dont be a P2P idiot, of course it will hog all the bandwidth, P2P and bit torrent programs will suck up any bandwidth avalible, i have 2 pc's that are shared over a wireless network, my room mate used to use P2P and my ping to gaming server is userally 18-30 when ever he opens a P2P program it rockets to 200+

Your problem lies with using P2P and bittorrent, both are extremly noob ways of transfering data over the internet, use newsgroups, ok it costs (not alot) but you can also download at your max speed.

Ditch P2P and bottorrent its old news out dated illegal if you download copyright material and not worth it.

Move on with technology

- Andy

Bandwidth Hogging

Dont be a P2P idiot, of course it will hog all the bandwidth, P2P and bit torrent programs will suck up any bandwidth avalible, i have 2 pc's that are shared over a wireless network, my room mate used to use P2P and my ping to gaming server is userally 18-30 when ever he opens a P2P program it rockets to 200+

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear; I fully understand how P2P hogs bandwidth but I was talking about times when I am not using P2P.

All PCs are connected to the Ethernet switch in the same way so I don't understand why the one PC in particular would hog the bandwidth. I expected that, perhaps the first to start a download would have the greater share. But, then again, my understanding is limited.

With respect, Andy, I am not a P2P idiot, I simply choose to use my connection in a way that suits my needs.

Cheers

JaM3z
Grafter

Bandwidth Hogging

It depends on the router you use to allocate bandwidth evenly between PC's, make sure you have the latest firmware for you router, then log into it and look in the advanced control panel.

Are you sure you dont just have the P2P client running in the background process's as it will still use bandwidth, if it starts at start up, remove the registry key so it cant, or better uninstall it. Tongue

The computer that first "gets on the net" userally will get priority over other machines aswell.

What OS does all the machines run? i take its XP Home/Pro?

Bandwidth Hogging

It depends on the router you use to allocate bandwidth evenly between PC's, make sure you have the latest firmware for you router, then log into it and look in the advanced control panel.

I don't have a router, just a modem and 5 Port Ethernet Switch. I doubt I can have much control over how the bandwidth is allocdated - unless anyone else knows different Wink

Are you sure you dont just have the P2P client running in the background process's as it will still use bandwidth, if it starts at start up, remove the registry key so it cant, or better uninstall it. Tongue

I quit the P2P client in the usual manner and as soon as I do I can see the speed increase on the PC running the client immediately. I get download speeds in the region of 450-700KBps after quiting the client.

The computer that first "gets on the net" userally will get priority over other machines aswell.

That could explain it as my PC is on almost 24/7 and, even after a period of downtime, is usually back on before the others.

My PC is XP Home as is one of the others. The third is 2000.

Cheers

JaM3z
Grafter

Bandwidth Hogging

If you where on XP pro i could tell you how to get more bandwidth by using a few tweaks, and you dont have a router so there is not much you can do, only advice i can give to you is stay away from P2P, but if you must use one ares i heard is ok but dont quote me on that.

Ones to get away from are just basicly kazza and warez.
N/A

Bandwidth Hogging

I don't have a router, just a modem and 5 Port Ethernet Switch. I doubt I can have much control over how the bandwidth is allocdated - unless anyone else knows different

Ahhh... If PC1 is using Internet Connection Sharing to let P2 and PC3 see the internet, could PC1's QoS settings be giving it's own traffic priority?

(I don't know much specifically about XP's QoS, esp. in association with ICS, so I can't tell you where you might look to check what settings you can tweak in that area - the oracle that is Google might find some useful info now you know the terms to search for)