cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandwidth Bores

N/A

Bandwidth Bores

I'm trying not to become a Bandwidth-Bore, there's lots of people who seem to do nothing but test their bandwidth and moan when it's anything less than 512k. ADSL bandwidth fluctuates, yesterday evening mine was down to 100k (back to 490k this morning, sometimes it's 550+), I think it's just the nature of the technology since there seems to be equal proportion of Bandwidth-Bores on any of the ISP forums. Varying line quality, BT, ISP and contention rates all play their part - I doubt whether ISPs are deliberately slowing people down, they need happy customers to recommend their services to others to build up their membership base. I guess it will be like the unmetered dial-up experience. I started with freeServe for £9.99 per month, everything was OK, then 000's of new people joined, the service became almost unusable and at £9.99 per month freeserve couldn't afford to invest in upgrading the service. They were making a loss. Eventually, they re-launched the service for £14 per month, which is probably as cheap as it can be and remain a usable, profitable service. My betting is that the ADSL service generally will degrade over the next 6 months, BT and ISPs will have to invest in the technology and the subscription charges will go up to cover it. Give it a year or so & we'll all have a good and reliable service, just as unmetered dialup access is now. But expect to pay a bit more.
If & when my bandwidth becomes consistently low, then I'll start complaining.......
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Bandwidth Bores

Good points. I agree though that too many people think that the 512/256k service is supposed to deliver a constant speed.

Many people forget the other influences - some people don't even realise that you can only receive something as fast as the server at the other end can serve it!

(Can you tell I used to work for BT Broadband Provision Management? :-)

I for one find ADSL very suitable for my applications. Even if we were to crawl along at 64k for an hour it wouldn't bother me as it is a 24 hour connection so downloads will eventually complete!

I don't think that the prices will rise on 512k though as the market is still expanding. However I expect that the speeds will drop and perhaps some ISP's that give the impression of a "permanent 512k connection" (implying it is permanently 512k) will change their marketing...

Mike Holbrough
N/A

I agree that its the fault of marketing and not the technology.
N/A

> I agree that its the fault of marketing and not the technology.

Just to elaborate further...

In the same way the consumer might believe that MHz is all that matters in a CPU and not trust AMD's PR ratings for judging what CPU they require...its the same with 512k ADSL where people don't realise its a theoretical maximum which includes overheads so to get 490kbps is the best you can really get and is considered very good.