cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad static noise - ADSL fine though

N/A

Got sorted 2 days earlier - PlusNet you are a winner.

Only problem is perhaps my microfilters - I can hear this horrible white noise on my phone line. Have unplugged all phones except one, still bad.
My standard dial-up also only gets to 4.8kbps now.... Sad not good!

Wondering if anyone else experienced this?
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Do you still get it with the ADSL modem unplugged and connecting your phone directly in the master socket without a filter?

And also try without ADSL and with the filter in the master socket.

If you don't with either the above then it is most likely the filter. If you do still get noise, then you have a bad line and need to contact BT faults.

Noise on the line will limit normal modem speeds although even on a good day I never got above 45666Kbps so 48000 would be good in my books - what were you getting before then?
N/A

Tried all combinations and unfortunately it occurs when the ADSL modem is plugged in. You can hear it resolve the connection and then transmit very clearly.

My only though is.....

I used to have ISDN and am plugging into the old BT Digital Access USB Hub mounted on the wall - using the line 1 output. Should this matter? (My PC is way to far from the normal wall socket!)
N/A

Yes. If you have gone through the motions of a managed ISDN conversion, the ISDN faceplate/wallbox should have been removed.

This is a potential source of your problem.

I am unsure of the procedure for this, however, contacting BT to have a normal NTE5 faceplate should be your best choice.
N/A

Well, it was kind of managed by me. They said "We need an engineer to remove it" - I said "I'm never in when you want to give me an appointment! Can't you just disconnect me at the exchange?...."

So they did! Smiley

I'll have a prod later on with a screw driver. Can't be that hard to remove...
N/A

It is illegal to remove yourself.

BT have three different faceplates, only two which they supply at this time.

The HH faceplate has two types, the USB and normal version. The only part you allow to touch on this is are the power cables and plugging jacks into the front.

The other two are master sockets supplied for ordinary PSTN lines (ADSL compatible). The older one provides a single front plug (somtimes double). You may not touch any internal wiring.

The second type (NTe5) provides a detachable front face, through which you may connect extentions to the first (provides a method through which customers can legaly attach there own equipment, without calling BT out).

These three faceplates belong to BT. WIth the exception of the NTe5, you may not touch any of the innards.

This is why BT ask to make an appointment, because this plate needs to be replaced.
N/A

Ah! A small problem then. They should train their CSAs to not allow customers to book disconnects without removing the hardware I guess! Cool

I don't suppose you know if it's a criminal or civil offence to open up a HH box? - actually I was going to disconnect it at the master socket, not touch the HH box itself- presumably this isn't an offence as I'm only touching the wiring - as you can buy DIY kits for extensions that involve direct wiring, it can't be that bad.. can it?
N/A

The DIY kits for wiring extentions, only legaly apply to the NTe5 faceplate.

This is a NTe5 open

Only this style faceplate can have any customer alterations, and only the part being held in the photo.

There are three prongs on the rear of the face being held. The punchdown toolt hat coems with the extention kits pushes the wires into these prongs.

The original style master (wires direct into the face if removed) and HH boxes are not for customer modification.

The issue is a civil one, however, should you ever need to call BT out on a line fault, they will pickup on customer modifications and charge the customer for abortive charges and possibly for alterations to the BT network (that part is classed as the network), which can see you in court.
N/A

That's cleared a few things up - the HH extension is wired from one of those boxes (pictured).

I'll have to move it when I CAt5 my house anywaySmiley

Reallly though, cheers for the info. I'll stop bumping this thread up now - sorry viewers. Shockedops:
N/A

It is all related, so it isn't bumped around. The HH unit is the cause of your problems.

Technicaly, you can't remove the HH box from the line yourself, even though it is attached to a NTe5.

The HH unit, and the wire that links it to the NTe5 is still the BT network, and as such, can't be removed by the customer.
N/A

Sorry -I just noticed Peter's question.

Before I got 33Kbps, I literally got 4.8Kbps - not 48Kbps.

To put this in perspective it took more than 5 minutes to login and look at a forum! Cheesy

Mr Carr - thanks for info again. I can't stress how much I won't attempt to modify this myself. Wink I can always blame the dog.
Community Veteran

HeHe I thought 4.8 was a typo Cheesy 4800baud... Hmmm long time since I used modems that had that speed as their maximim :roll:

The noise on the line WILL definately be the culprit.

I hope you can train your dog quickly so he can solve the problem for you Wink
N/A

Good old BT....

This morning at 9am on the dot a BT engineer turned up to remove my home highway wiring! Unannounced, i didn't even know he was coming! Dunno what he thought when I answered the door in dressing gown, hungover Shockedops:

Better still, he removed all the HH equipment and returned my line to a decent state in terms of noise. Brilliant, he even suggested I check ADSL and phone socket were working.... and they did! Great. Cheesy

And he left. And I went downstairs to use a different phone. :roll:
And none of the other phone sockets in the house work at all now!!!!!!!!!!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

I'm sure this will come to an end soon enough. Sob.
N/A

:? What's going on?

Called this problem into faults and they put me under priority response... literally 30 mins later another guy turns up and sorts all the cabling. Looks like my initial HH install was a bit of a bodge.

10/10 to BT for response in the end. Wonders will never cease! Cheesy
N/A

Yup, it's a good job they did too.

Although it sounds like the problem was with your extention cabling (not BTs problem), they have to place you on priority callout if you have had work done within X days.

Otherwise, it can be classed as loss of service on a re-occuring fault.

Glad it's all sorted now