N/A

Bad Customer Service, diabolical speed

Traceroute Results: View Traceroute
Traceroute Time (24 Hour): 17:00 to 17:20
Traceroute Duration: 20 minutes
Traceroute Packet Size: 64 bytes
Packetloss in Traceroute?: Yes
Exchange: SWXTP - St.Athan
Problem: Permanently Slow Data Transfer (Everything is slow)
Other Problem Experienced: I can not down load files, the software tells me that I am using NAT and also/ or a firewall. I do not have a firewall set up. It is downloading the file slower than my dial up modem. The best speed I had was 32Kps
Duration of Problem: Since installation
Minimum Speed Achieved On PlusNet Speedtest: 39.4 kbps
Maximum Speed Achieved On PlusNet Speedtest: 887.2 kbps
Average Speed Achieved On PlusNet Speedtest: 463.3 kbps
Account: ADSL Home (Self Install) - 1mb (50:1)
IP Block Size: Single (default)
Ticket Number: 13441592
Additional Information: This has been going on now for too long and I can not get the files I need. Please help.

Paying £29.99 per month for speeds worse than my Old Dial up connection is rediculous. No one has come back to me, no one has offered me any help. It looks like some of my issues are NAT related but no - one has phoned to talk me through it. All I get Is e-mails which pass the buck back to me, Worst case of customer service I have ever encountered Evil
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

well it is slow today, getting packet loss from PN first hop onwards. Will probally find one of the pipes went bad again today
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Re: Bad Customer Service, diabolical speed

I do not have a firewall set up

Firstly I recommend that you get a firewall on your PC. Secondly what setup have you got? Router? Modem? Your comment on Nat tends to suggest that you have a router.

Has it been like this from the moment it was activated or is this recent? Have you checked your wiring is setup correctly against the tutorial ADSL Wiring Tutorial

Does your line drop at all, when you use the phone? have you got everything including sky connected via the filters.
N/A

Also getting slow downloads, web pages half loading and traceroutes show the first 2 plusnet hops with packet loss.
N/A

Wiring Tutorial - advice

Thanks to al who have made suggestions. The system is a router and is wired correctly through my ethernet port.

My Bandwidth on the first day was 39Kps. The problem I have is that the servers I am trying to down load states that I have a NAT router. It chokes the stream, and the speed was so slow for a 2.6GB file it took 3 days and then timed out. Work that one out. Evil
Community Veteran

It looks like some of my issues are NAT related but no - one has phoned to talk me through it

Nor does your electricity supplier help you wire plugs.

Chris
N/A

NAT is Network Address Translation, and it translates traffic from your internet IP to your local network IP.

I'm guessing your having problems with all applications using the internet, and this suggests to me, that it's not a Nat based problem.

Nat based problems, normally affect specific applications and in many cases can be resolved by adding port forwarding rules to the router firewall. It maybe that certain applications are having nat problems as well, because you haven't got all the rules setup. This certainly would affect on-line games and P2P programs.

Aaron
N/A

Port forwarding

Thanks to Gadgetboy, helpful...

How do I set up port forwarding? This is one of the issues I have. The connection is still slow. I need to run some more speed test on BT...speedtesster.bt.com does not work though! I get an error message up stating dnserror.htm

I think if I get portforwarding up I will be able to download the application.

Fa55dsl........to come up with stupid comments such as that just shows your lack on intelligence. If I had a problem with wiring I would call an electrician. If I had problems with my water pipes I would call a plumber and pay for it. If I have problem with an Internet Connection, which I pay £30 per month for. I expect some form of help, especcially as it has not worked since day one!
N/A

Hi,

Just got connected with Plusnet last night and my 1MB connection is great, much better pings for gaming and download speeds are pretty much maxed out.

You need to find out the ports that your software needs and then go into your router setup and either open these ports or forward the ports directly to your PC.

It would be helpful to know what application that you are having problems with.

Cheers
Zen
Community Veteran

Fa55dsl........to come up with stupid comments such as that just shows your lack on intelligence. If I had a problem with wiring I would call an electrician. If I had problems with my water pipes I would call a plumber and pay for it. If I have problem with an Internet Connection, which I pay £30 per month for. I expect some form of help, especcially as it has not worked since day one!

Your comments above suggested you thought it was a problem with port forwarding - thats internal networking - your internal networking, not a problem with your internet access.

Chris
N/A

Port forwarding

Thanks to all again, it does look like it is Port Forwarding, I will try to see if I can fix it myself. DOes anybody know how I do it?
N/A

What model router you got and what applications are you trying to use, that are complaining of firewall/Nat based issues? Are you trying any games or P2P software?

Port forwarding is adding rules to the inbound section of the firewall on your router. You normally need to specifiy which ports you wish to open (depending on the application) and you can also normally specifiy which IP addy (local IP) that you want to forward them to.

Are you getting slow access using internet explorer or another browser?

Aaron
N/A

Port forwarding

Sorry to be a pain.

The router is a Solwise SAR130 ADSl Router

Normal running applications seem not too bad now, however, when I use a site to download it goes like an old dog. Now it seems from what every one is saying I should use Port Forwarding, how do I use do that? I have looked at the config section of the router and there is no reference to Port Forwarding.

Cheers
N/A

If your downloading via IE or firefox or opera and it's slow, then it's not related to Nat or port forwarding but your connection or setup or the site even.

Does your router have a section for inbound rules? this is port forwarding. Inbound rules allow you to open certain ports to allow traffic to reach your computer, which didn't originate as a request from you.

I really need more information. such as the applications your having problems with.

Aaron