cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Connections/DNS

N/A

Bad Connections/DNS

Hi

Over the past couple of weeks my connection has been dropping a lot at random times, sometimes reconnecting other times not.

Also the DNS is very bad sometimes taking upto 5 refreshs to get a page to load otherwise it just displays the DNS error page.

I have friends on plus and f9 who have been having similar connection issues.

So whats up?

Steven
--
MICROSOFT = Most Intelligent Customers Realize Our Software Only Fools
Teenagers
8 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Bad Connections/DNS

> Hi
>
> Over the past couple of weeks my connection has been dropping a lot at random times, sometimes reconnecting other times not.
>
> Also the DNS is very bad sometimes taking upto 5 refreshs to get a page to load otherwise it just displays the DNS error page.
>
> I have friends on plus and f9 who have been having similar connection issues.
>
> So whats up?
>
> Steven
>
> --
> MICROSOFT = Most Intelligent Customers Realize Our Software Only Fools
> Teenagers
>

N/A

I am having the same problems since last couple of weeks the lines keep disconnected 10 times a day for few seconds.
N/A

> I am having the same problems since last couple of weeks the lines keep disconnected 10 times a day for few seconds.

Strange, I've not had any problems with ADSL for weeks, if anything this is the most stable Plusnet has been.

I know plusnet changed their DNS servers recently. Just check your TCP/IP Network setting for DNS servers are not manually set to the old servers. Easiest way is to set it to 'Obtain DNS server automatically' then reconnect.
N/A

> I know plusnet changed their DNS servers recently. Just check your TCP/IP Network setting for DNS servers are not manually set to the old servers. Easiest way is to set it to 'Obtain DNS server automatically' then reconnect.

yes ive done that, its all controlled by my router anyways which gets it all.

--
Teenagers
N/A

May be worth having a look through your router logs. I read on ADSLGUIDE one plusnet user who was having DoS attack so had to have his IP address changed.

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=plusnet&Number=684323&page=1&view=expanded&s...
N/A

> Hi
>
> Over the past couple of weeks my connection has been dropping a lot at random times, sometimes reconnecting other times not.
>
> Also the DNS is very bad sometimes taking upto 5 refreshs to get a page to load otherwise it just displays the DNS error page.
>
> I have friends on plus and f9 who have been having similar connection issues.
>
> So whats up?
>
> Steven
>
> --
> MICROSOFT = Most Intelligent Customers Realize Our Software Only Fools
> Teenagers
>

I have been having similar problems on win2k. I am using a Alcatel Speed Touch Home router hacked into a Alcatel Pro. Would love to know where the logs are on those things or if they even have any!
N/A

ok, i do run win2k as well altho w2k my nicknmae has nothing todo with it Wink.

Anyway I have cleared all caches and flushed the dns still no difference.

I have a 98 and XP machine which I will test on and let you see what happens. I dont allow network allow many external conections to the computer so being DOS attacked is unlikey as
was said on ADSL GUIDE.

I have had all my line and line card checked by BT when a similar thing like this happened before, no problems were found at it eventually stopped happening.

So I dont know what else todo. I've been cut off 3 times in the last 5 hours and pages still fail to load on the first attempt.
--
Teenagers
N/A

You may want to try setting the DNS servers manaulay into your network settings, if need be, specifying a IP address to allow you to do it.

The automaticaly assign IP and DNS settings option doesn't allways work the way you think it should.

When a router obtains it's IP and DNS info, it stores it.

When a computer requests this information, the router will do 1 of 2 things.

1: Send a IP address, and the DNS servers provided when the DSL connection esteblished.

2: Send a IP address, and the IP of the router for the DNS server.

In option 2, the router will act as a DNS relay. In some cases, it may be the relay inside the router that is faulty, and timesout, causing your problems.

Thus, if you try setting the DNS servers manaualy, your computer will use them servers specificaly, and avoid a faulty relay issue.