cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing Up Over ADSL & VPN?

N/A

Hi,
Im looking at backing up my companies windows server over the internet to my home server. This would be done once a week, and currently there is 15gbs in the backup file.
How long would people estimate this would take, both sites have adsl 1meg but slow upload and a secure vpn.
Any one else got any good ideas? I backup normally onto a tape drive, but would like something kept even more secure.
Thanks,
Steve
9 REPLIES
benoh
Grafter

Re: Backing Up Over ADSL & VPN?

Hi,
Im looking at backing up my companies windows server over the internet to my home server. This would be done once a week, and currently there is 15gbs in the backup file.
How long would people estimate this would take, both sites have adsl 1meg but slow upload and a secure vpn.
Any one else got any good ideas? I backup normally onto a tape drive, but would like something kept even more secure.
Thanks,
Steve

Taking the tape home once a week/month is going to be ALOT quicker and easier.

Ben
Community Veteran

15GigaBytes of data (I assume by 15gbs you actually meant bytes not bits) over a 256Kbs (25KBytes/second) connection (the standard ADSL upload speed your work 1Mbs ADSL line will have) will take approx 7 days to complete.

Using round numbers:

15,000,000,000 Bytes (15GBytes) @ 25KBytes/second = 600000 seconds or 166 hours or 6.94 days.

If you really did mean 15Gigabits then it's just under a day.

I think you have your answer.
N/A

Add on top a minimum of 7% for VPN overhead.

Next remember that the connection is likely to be used within that time too, for which slowdowns in both normal use and VPN upload will occur.

Without overhead and with a dedicated link for it, as peter noted, it will take 7 days. You would want a comfort zone for link recovery and so on. Otherwise any failure in the transfer process will cause you to over-run the start of the next upload start time.
N/A

oo and you will get corruption in the data send. just use some DVD-RWs to back it up on
N/A

Why not install a 2nd larger drive and backup to that on a daily basis, makes life much easier and a faster restore if needed.

Laters
wheelnut
Grafter

Why not install a 2nd larger drive and backup to that on a daily basis, makes life much easier and a faster restore if needed.

hmmmm - and if (server/building that the server is in) catches fire/gets flooded/nicked/PSU malfuctions etc etcHuh?Huh
the_norris
Grafter

Good point - but what about a external HDD. Eg USB2 or firewire?

Phil
Community Veteran

Would it be possible to use an incremental backup, so that you did not have to transfer the whole 15G each week?

And what file transfuse system are you using? FTP, Samba, Windows file sharing, NFS

I use an incremental system to backup my Windows machine to my Linux server on a daily basis, which works well and only takes a couple of seconds compared to 30 minutes for a full backup.

Chilly
N/A

yeah 15 gigabytes, I think an incremental backup, I.e sytem registry, might prove usefull. I used to use an external harddisk to backup but after 2 months of use I checked the data and sure enough, it was corrupted.
I think I will carry on backing up onto 2 x DVD-RW discs.
The backup tapes are taken offsite.
Thanks for answering my question its far too much data to be transferrin without dedicated SDSL lines.
Thanks again,
Steve