cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back online after a fashion

N/A

Back online after a fashion

Well, I am back online this morning after reconfiguring my whole network.

I run a fairly complicated local network with multiple public IP numbers and several local NAT segments with varying degrees of security.

I have managed to get the network back online but only by using a single IP number. The routing for multiple IP numbers simply does not work and this can only be down to the information being assigned by the connecting router at the PlusNet end. I only discovered this by accident when connected directly to the router and suddenly a connection popped up.

This is not an ideal situation but after reconfiguring the whole network for single IP NAT it all works. It just means that I cannot use the Virtual DMZ and other snazzy features of my router and have to rely on the firewall to do all the clever stuff. There are a number of other implications that I am still working out but something is better than nothing.

Other people on the Plus Net forums are saying that they have had to disable their firewall to get things working. As a security consultant I couldn't possibly recommend doing this [Wink] However, it shows that some drastic changes have taken place to connecting equipment and that not all of the implications have been properly thought through.

I am pleased to see that PlusNet finally acknowledge that they still have ongoing problems. Nothing has left me with a worse taste in my mouth than the unseemly haste with which they tried to close this whole issue - totally contradicting the sentiments expressed by Mr Goldsmith in his press release. I think another apology may be in order on that count. You never move from red alert to green in one swift move.

AND YOU DO NOT CLOSE CUSTOMER TICKETS WITHOUT MAKING SURE THAT THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED OR YOU ARE NO BETTER THAN BT OR OTHER SUCH OUTFITS WHO CARE LITTLE FOR THEIR CUSTOMERS!

A sobering thought is that hard earned reputations for excellence are easily lost! I do appreciate that PlusNet staff have been under pressure but that does not excuse sloppiness and an unseemly rush to close tickets and problems.

Regards
--
Emeric Miszti
http://www.uksecurityonline.com
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Back online after a fashion

> Well, I am back online this morning after reconfiguring my whole network.
>
> I run a fairly complicated local network with multiple public IP numbers and several local NAT segments with varying degrees of security.
>
> I have managed to get the network back online but only by using a single IP number. The routing for multiple IP numbers simply does not work and this can only be down to the information being assigned by the connecting router at the PlusNet end. I only discovered this by accident when connected directly to the router and suddenly a connection popped up.
>
> This is not an ideal situation but after reconfiguring the whole network for single IP NAT it all works. It just means that I cannot use the Virtual DMZ and other snazzy features of my router and have to rely on the firewall to do all the clever stuff. There are a number of other implications that I am still working out but something is better than nothing.
>
> Other people on the Plus Net forums are saying that they have had to disable their firewall to get things working. As a security consultant I couldn't possibly recommend doing this [Wink] However, it shows that some drastic changes have taken place to connecting equipment and that not all of the implications have been properly thought through.
>
> I am pleased to see that PlusNet finally acknowledge that they still have ongoing problems. Nothing has left me with a worse taste in my mouth than the unseemly haste with which they tried to close this whole issue - totally contradicting the sentiments expressed by Mr Goldsmith in his press release. I think another apology may be in order on that count. You never move from red alert to green in one swift move.
>
> AND YOU DO NOT CLOSE CUSTOMER TICKETS WITHOUT MAKING SURE THAT THE PROBLEM IS SOLVED OR YOU ARE NO BETTER THAN BT OR OTHER SUCH OUTFITS WHO CARE LITTLE FOR THEIR CUSTOMERS!
>
> A sobering thought is that hard earned reputations for excellence are easily lost! I do appreciate that PlusNet staff have been under pressure but that does not excuse sloppiness and an unseemly rush to close tickets and problems.
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Emeric Miszti
> http://www.uksecurityonline.com
Hi Emeric:
You really think +net actually care about the customers that pay their wages? going by the bullshit that +net have been giving out over the last two days I think not.
--
Reset
N/A

> Hi Emeric:
> You really think +net actually care about the customers that pay their wages? going by the bullshit that +net have been giving out over the last two days I think not.
>
> --
> Reset

Hi Reset,

They are a very image conscious company. Whether or not they actually care about customers is a moot point. What matters is that they want people to think that they care about their customers.

When they are challenged they listen and do something about it. That is why I picked PlusNet.

Other ISP's are much worse - caring little for image or customers. You cannot even influence those since you are such a little cog in a vary big machine - BT Openworld, Tiscali and Freeserve spring to mind.

I would rather be with an ISP that cares about it's image than one that doesn't. Usually that means you can embarass them into behaving in a way that suits their customers Wink

Now, if they really cared about customers then it would be a bonus. I think there are individuals that care about customers, when it comes to organisations I am not sure!! PlusNet certainly have a bunch of guys that do care a bit about customers.

Regards
N/A

I think your right Emeric, +Net do have some people that i think do genuinely care about their customers but the one's that dont I believe are in the majority and actually hold the power (nothing new there i might add).

And didnt i see in some report released this week, that its official ISP's care more about greenbacks than their customers so much for the image!

Ali