cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT speedtester won't let me prove slow speed problem

N/A

I have had persistant speed problems since being upgraded to 8 mb on my BB+ account several weeks ago. Speed varies from 3000 down to 110 and sometimes back again in less than 4 minutes. Other times it never gets above 200 all evening.
As always when I report this to ON I amm asked to carry out various tests and this always ends with being asked for min 3 (sometimes more) BT speedtests.
Problem is that in my experience, the BT speedtester rarely works at speeds below about 2900. So I can't string together 3 tests in 30 minutes unless I don't have a speed problem at the time.
At low speeds I get error messages, frozen screens and in one case the test ran all the way through but the results wouldn't show.
I have another ticket at the moment, and this will probably expire again before I can get the proof I need for PN.
Does anyone else have this problem?
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

1. Have you managed to get any results from http://speedtester.bt.com/ ? If so could you post them please.

2. How much peak time usage does VMBU show for this month and last month?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Yes, I have persistently had that problem - results like
(paraphrased)

'System busy, try again later'
'You are using the wrong phone number' ?!
'You are logged in as PaddyClark' - who?

I would try posting a message to this forum like 'BT Speedtest won't run - please can Plusnet look at my question' and put the question number in - it can kick start the process.

Good luck!
N/A

Thanks for interest Elvin.
Peak time usage is 901.25MB last month and 187.9 MB this month from 2/3 to 21/3 inclusive.
As I said, I can get results from BT speedtester, but mostly only when spedd is up around 3000. It has only once ever been over 4000.These are results this month:

Upload is always 448.
Download results this month:5088(IP 361);4160(511);5056(2965);4160(3292);4352(320Cool;4352(3292);4352(3284)

Many other tests failed in the same period.
N/A

Thanks for your interest Justjat.
I already have a question open, ID21527230. So far PN have completely ignored the problem I have described - they just keep saying 'when you have three BT speedtest results, go to PN fault finder'
Well would if I could.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Raise the fault anyway pointing out that the speed test fails.

I'm not sure if I am interpreting your figures correctly. Are those the sync speed followed by the IP Profile speed in brackets?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Download speed followed by IP speed in brackets
You have made me concious of the fact that I am not keeping good enough records of my attempts at speed tests, so I have started tonight keeping a detailed record of failed as well as succesful tests.