cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT's exchange upgrade timetable document

N/A

Can anyone tell me where I can see BT's (PDF?) document which lists their exchange upgrade timetable? I am currently on a Plusnet 512k package (homesurf I think) and am keen to upgrade to Premier 2MB, but I understand that the timescales of BT's line and exchange upgrades may mean I would be paying an extra £3 per month but unable to get a service any faster than my current 512k until BT upgrade my line/exchange.

I spoke to a Plusnet advisor this morning who gave me a dufunct URL for the location of the document.

I have since scoured the website and forums for the info but I just can't find it.
Any help would be appreciated.

Keith
17 REPLIES
Cloudmaster
Grafter

N/A

Many thanks!
topfisher
Grafter

Don't hold you're breath. The upgrade date given for my exchange says 6th of April but nothing has happened yet. :roll:
Midville
Grafter

My exchange states trail, what does this mean?!? :roll:
N/A

Check out this site:
http://www.samknows.com/broadband

It will give exact days of when exchanges are being updated. For example my exchange in Bury (MRBUR) has been scheduled for 25/05/05 , which the PDF said April.

If it doesn't have date then it's not been scheduled yet ![/url]
N/A

RE: Trial Status

@midville

It means you should get an upgrade before everyone else Smiley

Although it is the end of the month already :?
N/A

stu55jenks

The data on the Samknows website is unrelated to the upgrade dates for higher speeds. That date is effetivly the same data as used in the VP checker on the usertools website (link in my signature).

Yorkstown

Can I ask where you received the 6th of April from?

The PDF does not give any date specific information, other than the month and year. As is normal to see a british date wirtten in day, month, year order (though in this case, no day given).

I am going to try and release a extra component to the exchange checker on Usertools, so that people can avoid confusion in searching and also distinguish between the two sets of unrelated data.
Midville
Grafter

@ml278

shame I have got 2mb already but i guess its worth paying less than 39.99
topfisher
Grafter

Sorry, my mistake. Its says April 05.
MikeStanley
Dabbler

Check out this site:
http://www.samknows.com/broadband

It will give exact days of when exchanges are being updated. For example my exchange in Bury (MRBUR) has been scheduled for 25/05/05 , which the PDF said April.

If it doesn't have date then it's not been scheduled yet ![/url]

This is interesting -
BUT
I'm on Bridgnorth - it says that there is no date scheduled
And on the upgrade timetable it says "trial" - which apparently means April.

Now I am still at the same old 512k speed according to my router.
So - - now I'm confused -does PlusNet need to do something?

Mike
N/A

Don't forget too that (larger) exhanges with multiple DSLAMs are likely to be listed more than once in the schedule with each DSLAM potentially being upgraded on a different date. The bad news is there is no way of telling which DSLAM you're ADSL service is terminated on, so it will be pot luck which one of the multple dates, you'll get upgraded on (if you are in the multiple DSLAM, multiple upgrade date situation).
N/A

stanleys

As per my message above, the samknows checker is in no way related to the dates published in the the upgrade PDF.
Julie
Grafter

Hi Philip

Can you then please explain to me why my exchange was visited and says last updated on 28th April 05 which as per BT schedule was due to be visited in April o5.

Its VP is now amber per the samnows checker
Also it states that the next BT DSLAM : 19/06/05
this was also when my exhange was due for the next free upgrade visit as per the BT schedule.... June O5

The exchange checker on the usergroup tools page shows VP status green and no mention of the latest update at all
Thanks for your time Smiley
N/A

Prenty of questions to answer there Cheesy

Can you then please explain to me why my exchange was visited and says last updated on 28th April 05 which as per BT schedule was due to be visited in April o5.

The last update date will be one of two things.

1: The date on which Sam updated his database. ie, imported the information
2: The date which BT claim the information is for.

Many updates from BT can be published as much as 2 weeks after the date on the data itself.

The usertools checker uses number 2 for it's dates. We do not alter the BT information in any way, other than translating it into databse form.

Its VP is now amber per the samnows checker
Also it states that the next BT DSLAM : 19/06/05
this was also when my exhange was due for the next free upgrade visit as per the BT schedule.... June O5

A new DSLAM, VP upgrade and these bulk upgrades are totaly seperate things.

All existing DSLAMs with the exception of a few rare occasions, are capable of the speeds at which people are being upgraded too. The upgrade involve connecting the DSLAM you are on, into a faster and improved BT backbone and the upgrading of router hardware at the exchange.

VP capacity relates to how congested a VP is. It can be congested before the upgrade & after, it can be ok before but not after.

The installation of a new DSLAM is for the purpose of enabling more and more customers. Each DSLAM only has a set capacity of customer lines it can hold. When these run low, or run out, a whole new DSLAM is needed to fix that problem.

The fact the new DSLAM date and the upgrade month are the same, is nothing more than co-incidence.

If needs be, I can compile a report showing just how many exchanges that are marked as getting a new DSLAM are set to get their upgrades in the same month. I can pretty much say the number would be low.

The exchange checker on the usergroup tools page shows VP status green and no mention of the latest update at all

The usertools checker is currently running behind. I am waiting to access the information needed to make the required updates.

Unfortinatly, I am away for the rest of the weekend, and unable to apply the said information.