cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT's Acceptable Speeds

N/A

BT's Acceptable Speeds

Folks
Am having speed issues and ran the BT tests with the following results :- 188kbs, 55kbs and 1791kbs. the last figure taken at 4.51 am to-day. Plusnet are trying to tell me that this is acceptable due to contention. As I understand it the first two figures are NOT acceptable as they fall below BT's own figure of 400kbs for a 2Mb line. Have asked Plusnet to sort as they take the cash.
Opinions anyone?

Tom B
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

BT's Acceptable Speeds

You are on a 50:1 contended connection, so the minimum speed you could get is 40Kbs (assuming 2000Kbs link speed) if fully contended.

The 400Kbs minimum speed is for an uncontended connection.

If you speeds are fluctuating on the BT speed test then this has nothing to do with PlusNets or it's network and does point to a contention problem. The fact you can get the higher figure suggest your line is fine and contention is the problem.

What does the exchange checker say for you number?
N/A

BT's Acceptable Speeds

At 10:27 am has 2 greens. What is really annoying is that the problem has only been for the last month or so. Is this the best I can expect from now on?

Tom B
Community Veteran

BT's Acceptable Speeds

Your exchange could be green for months even if there is a problem, its up to BT to update the system and they are not very good at doing so