cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT exchange speed decline recently

N/A

I have had speed problems which have started very recently. Upon pushing customer support i have had these responses so far.

"I can see that BT reduced your line speed to 500kbps on the 18/07/06. This would have happened in response to line conditions at that time in an attempt to stabilise the connection. If your modem is able to synchronise at higher speeds again, then your download speed should go up again but BT's systems at the exchange normally take 3 days to increase the speed, so we would not expect you to see an improvement before tomorrow."

One point, anyone tell me how to see what speed your modem/router is synchronising at?

Another line i have been given is "instructions" to resolve this matter.

"To force your line to re-sync please connect your device to the master socket with all other telephony devices unplugged, please make random disconnections frequently allowing the line to re-sync

Your line must sync at higher speeds over a 3 day period to see any increase in speed."

Does this work? has anyone tried this? I would try if I knew for certain it would work but to do so requires a lot of messing about moving hidden ethernet cables and telephone cables not to mention humpfing my pc downstairs to be able to attach to the master socket. (For some brilliant reason BT decided to place my master socket in the pokey-hole cupboard under the stairs (quite literally)) so i have extensions from this.

Any one with any info would be appreciated. I have read in other forums that the speed drop recently has to do with dynamic line management and BT changing everyone's exchange without bothering to ask if we wanted it.

I was receiving 2mbps premier product without much problems, (there were some) but now I am only receiving 481kbps and have been since said date above.

I also noted that i appear to be able to upload faster than i can download.
D/stream being 461kbps at last test while u/stream is 481kbps. Seems strange to me.

:? #
17 REPLIES
N/A

I have had connection problems since last wednesday 15/07/06 where at first i could not even sync eventually i cud sync and then was getting time out errors when trying to connect
now my line syncs at 160kbps up and 160kbps down

Plus updated my ticket yesterday

BBCR reports last delta report as 6816 on 15/07/06 this has not changed since. Customer now syncing at 160k will advise to test in test port.

Regards,
Paul Emsell

Dear Mr Kelly,
In order to test the physical line itself we would suggest testing the connection in the test port behind the BT faceplate. Simply unscrew both silver screws and the central socket point will come away. To the right hand side there is a phone port this will not be affected by any other wiring or equipment.

Please test again your connection monitoring sync speeds. If you still see low sync instances then please get back to us and we will raise the fault to BT. If the line is perfect from here you will need to go through your internal wiring and equipment checking for interferance.

Regards,
Paul Emsell

after unscrewing the face plate and testing in the test port, i still sync at 160kbps each way....
N/A

you have been subject to plusnets patented delay the customer tactic by asking you to make sure it's not a fault at your end. I mean if it worked fine before 15/7/06 then how could it be your fault.

sounds pretty much like you have the same fault as me with BT imposing restrictions on your line because they've messed up digital line mangement without beta testing at all. only your line must have been in a worse state than mine if your down to 160kbps. jeez thats almost dial-up!! isdn even.

You'd think that PN would be able to speak to BT considering that PN are a part of the BT group just another tier of BT.

I'm sorry your having problems too.

The problems I have is that I dont know how to check sync speed on my router.
shellsong
Grafter

Where on earth do you get the idea that PN are part of the BT group? :?
N/A

i was confused about that too?
N/A

sorry! my mistake. I take it all back, i misread it on another forum and website. Shockedops:
Naiad
Grafter

I've been having similar problems to you guys. I got the MAXed email in May, but more recently noticed connection suddenly again being frequently dropped with low and fluctuating synch speeds on reconnections. After reading the other tales of woe here and on newsgroups, I've tried the rebooting etc but am still getting a d/l speed of only 480kb or so, even tho pre-Maxing I was regularly getting 900+ on a usually rock steady 1.1Mb connection. I want my d/l speed back!

I've jumped thru all the hoops to raise a ticket with CS, only to be told that since my ''throughput has been set at 576k'' which they allege is all the line will take, they will not raise this as an issue with BT. Who sets this throughput speed limit - is it BT or Plusnet? As I've pointed out to CS, I KNOW my line was stable up to 1.1Mb with 900+ d/l on the previous package before they ruined it by Maxing me, and nothing's changed at my end.
At the moment I'm getting perfectly stable connections synching up to 1.6Mb, but d/l speed is still stuck down at the 480 mark or lower. This re-training the line stuff just isn't working - how do I get this fixed? I'm really fed up with this so-called ''Upgrade''. What a false description if there ever was one.
N/A

Unfortunately i'm getting spun round in circles by both bt and plusnet. There is a thread worth reading somewhere where this fella found out that bt had set his internet connection back to 500kbps as it was logged that a fault had been raised on the line and they carry this out as a pre-cautionary measure until they get round to sorting it properly.
Ah found it.

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=45395

Worth resing if you're in the same situation. however getting someone from bt to come out is another matter entirely. If, like me, you have stopped paying line rental to bt this may be absolutely impossible. I've wrote some pretty nasty emails to folk at PN CS demanding quarter bills for wuarter the service i had or i will be cancelling direct debit. (I'm going with another isp now anyway.)
Naiad
Grafter

Update:

Well after getting nowhere with Plusnet who said they couldn't change the 576kbps speed set on my connection and gave the standard 'go and plug into the master socket' spiel, and with BT who also tested my phoneline for faults and claimed there's nothing wrong - suddenly this morning I am able to log in with synch speeds from 1.8 to 2.3Mbps. Hmm. Curiouser and curiouser!

More importantly I see my linespeed has been reset up to 1500. Last 2 speedtests have reached the dizzy heights of 1485.1 and 1442.4kbps (whereas I'd been stuck down at 480 or less).

Anyway, here's hoping whatever has mysteriously changed STAYS that way!

*touch wood*
keithcalder
Grafter

Just a small question here but have you removed the ring wire from your BT master socket? Its the one that goes into terminal 3 and will be either orange with white bands or white with orange bands. Its the norm now to remove theses as it allows a better line speed sync rate as it removes alot of interference from the line.
N/A

sync rate isn't the problem with me as i'm syncing with the exchange at a speed of 5.4mb which is possibly as fast as i will get. It's the download speed imposed on me at bt's end which is the crux of the matter here for me anyway.
Naiad
Grafter

I spoke too soon - might have known it was too good to be true. Sad
Getting random cutoffs again, synch up and down all over the place and d/l speed plummeted to new depths. At the moment I've finally got a synch of 2.1Mb to stay up and running but speed is crawling at 128kbps! :-(

Saturday night the cutoffs started sometime just after midnight and I am sure nothing electrical in the house was causing interference as there was nothing else on. Prior to that I'd had a rock steady synch of 2Mb all day with good speedtest results. Now it's all gone pear-shaped again. There's no rhyme or reason to it as far as I can see.

I'm fed up with this whole Max business. My previous 'Up to 2Mb' connection was fine, with hardly any problem and a reasonable speed for my line given the distance from exchange etc. Now it's rubbish.

About the ring wire - would that affect analogue phones? I do still use an old 80s style one now and then (push button, not dial) e.g. if the power goes off and digital one's not working. I've read disconnecting the wire mentioned before but no I haven't tried this as I'd be wary of messing it up and might still have to have BT out to check through things. Would it really help? Since as I say, I was able to get a stable connection before on previous package. If so, where can I find out exactly how to do it please?
keithcalder
Grafter

Go here; http://yarwell.blogspot.com/2005/08/adsl-tweaking.html Its a good guide and shows you what to do and is informative too. Smiley
N/A

BT bell wire

I tried this last night. Disconnected the wire from the No3 pin in the BT master socket. I then pulled the router cable from its socket. Reconnecting today has boosted the PN speed test from 1.9mbps to 2.7. Its certainly worht a try. I did'nt interfere with the BT side of the socket, just the wire to the extensions.
N/A

I looked at this today, and find something strange...

Everywhere I've read says that normally the extension wires are connected to positions 2,3 & 5, with 3 being the ring wire. 1, 4 & 6 can be connected, but are often not bothered with as they don't do anything and are not connected inside the master socket.

I've opened the bottom of the master socket, and I see wires in positions 1, 3 & 5. So according to everything I've read, I shouldn't have a phone at all. They are also strangely coloured - instead of the normal "White/blue, Blue/White, etc" I see single colored wire of Red, blue, white, green.

:?: