cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT availability checker

rapalla
Grafter

BT availability checker

I have been with +net for over a year on 1 meg Home with no real problems.
With the promise of 2 meg upgrade coming my way (I hope) I looked at the BT availabilty checker and found that my phone number is rated up to 1 meg only. It says that my neighbours on either side are good for 2 megs! I live in a street of modern houses and we are less than 2 Km from the exchange.
Why would there be a difference between myself and my neighbours? I havnt got any line stats at the moment but get 960k on my 1 meg line most of the time.
With this coming ' maximum speed that line can sustain' how will we be able to judge whether our phone line has a fault and not delivering the full product? At the moment if I was getting 700k instead of 960k I would know there was a problem. On 2 meg service if my phone line has a fault would I be able to complain if I was still getting poor results or would +net turn round and say tuff... its the max speed that your line can sustain
5 REPLIES
N/A

BT availability checker

Ask PN in a ticket to perform a WOOSH (or WHOOSH, however its spelt) test on your line. This will give you your line stats. If your downstream attenuation is less than 43dB, you can expect a 2 meg connection.
N/A

BT availability checker

So, are the line upgrades completed using a proper line test that determines what the attainable rate is or do BT look at their own checker and go off that?

I hope it the former, as the BT checker states that I might need an engineer for 512k (what i'm on now) but my router stats suggest i'm OK for 1Mb (56dB att, 21dB) SNR

Cheers
N/A

BT availability checker

It is meant to be the former... If you put a regrade through and it fails, you can get PN to do a test on your line to prove it is 1meg capable, and then ask them to put the regrade through manually.
N/A

BT availability checker

Cheers... fingers crossed then!
N/A

whoosh

I asked plusnet to do a whoosh test and got the following results
Upstream
Loop Cell Loss Count 22dB19
Downstream
Loop Cell Loss Count 30.5dB20

Are these good or bad?

Reason I ask is that as far as I know my line has been upgraded, it was due to be done in April and my exchange is no longer listed on the PDF file. Despite this I still only have download speeds of 576 and up 288.

Thanks for any info

Steve