Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT announce ADSl Limits removed sept 6th

gpsmout
Grafter

Summary
NR 0475

http://www.btplc.com/News/Pressreleasesandarticles/Corporatenewsreleases/2004/nr0475.htm
August 18, 2004
BT breaks down barrier to bring a million more customers within reach of broadband

Broadband availability to match analogue TV coverage by Summer 2005

Distance limits removed for 512kb/sec ADSL services

Range for 1 Mb/sec ADSL extended to reach 6km from exchange

BT today announced it was removing the distance related limits for the most popular broadband services, bringing potentially more than a million more UK homes and businesses within reach of broadband.

Following BT Wholesale trials in Milton Keynes and rural areas around Fort William and Dingwall in the Scottish Highlands, BT is confident a 512kb/sec ADSL service can now be provided to the vast majority of people beyond the former limit which was roughly equivalent to 6km distance from the exchange.

From September 6, 2004, the reach limit for the 512kb/sec ADSL services will be removed. BT is also increasing the range for 1Mb/sec premium services from 4km to approximately 6km - making 1Mb/sec ADSL available to 96 per cent of homes and businesses connected to a broadband exchange.

The trial data indicates that removing the limit means 99.8 per cent of lines connected to a broadband exchange should now be able to get a 512kb/sec ADSL service. To date approximately 96 per cent of homes and businesses connected to broadband enabled exchanges were within range for 512kb/sec ADSL.

Alison Ritchie, BT chief broadband officer, said: "By pushing the boundaries on broadband reach we are building on our exchange upgrade rollout programme which means the remaining gaps in the broadband Britain jigsaw are getting smaller and smaller.

"Today's announcement, Cheesy
29 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Related and more detailed announcement from ADSLguide:

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=1814

I guess the Q is when will PlusNet be in a position to accept new subscribers and regrades at the new limits - from the 6th Sept?
N/A

Wondering the same here Plusnet, when can I order a regrade to 1mb ? Is it on the 6th, or before / after ?

Thanks
N/A

And how inundated will all the ISP's be?

Is there likely to be a huge amount of orders for the engineers to process that will result in turn around period that is longer than it takes to get ADSL installed in the first place?
gpsmout
Grafter

No Limits

Perhaps the approach should be to apply as soon as possible?
comments Plus net please?

gpsmout
N/A

According to PlusNet on ADSL Guide, they are currently advising of early on thr 6th.

Mainly because there is no way for them to store the said oders until that time.

Considering the news that it is official is from today, I would give them a few days to discus and work out a solution to the problem. Based on the time, I would ask again on Monday.
N/A

ADSLGuide is now saying that PlusNet will be taking advance orders for the new limits:

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=1818
Community Veteran

PlusNet explain how to pre-order here.
Community Veteran

Anyone wanting to pre-register for ADSL (if you don't have it) or to upgrade to 1Mb using the new line quality values can do so using the pre-registration page now available via the new graphic link on the PlusNet home page.

Or just click here.
N/A

Does anyone know if the limit for 2mbit will be changed too?
Community Veteran

See the links to the ADSL guide article in my first reply. 2Mb stays at 41dB, 1Mb increases to 60dB and the limit for 512K is removed.
N/A

Seeing as though PlusNet would not even bother submitting my line for a manual order a few months back, I can gladly say PlusNet will not be receiving my business come the 6th September.
LiamM
Grafter

oh well, you're the one who will be missing out...
michaelscott
Grafter

Will the removal of the 512k limit allow ADSL to be used in telephone systems such as those found in university halls?
gpsmout
Grafter

most campus halls we visited with our son this year had 10/100 network points in all the students rooms. As son is going to lancaster he will be connecting to janet and i think the fee is a one off £60.00 for his four years at the uni, but he will only be in the halls for 2.

ADSL will not work within a PBX i beleive; in the department where I work we had ADSL installed as our internet link 2 years ago. It could not be provided via the private exchange PBX equipment. We have 3 or 4 lines some of which are direct to an extention, other which go via the switchboard. The ADSL had to come in via a dedicated line only, which fortunatley could be shared with the dedicated fax line.

think about it and you would have potentailly dozens of students attenpting to get ADSL over one payphone or extention; not likely reallY!