cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Speed test - how do you run the second test?

N/A

I have had lots of speed problems (ongoing) and frequently run the BT speed test at speedtester.bt.com

If there is a problem, it requests that you log in as

bt_test_user@plusdsl.net

then carry out further tests by clicking on GO

I have done this on loads of occasions. I have no trouble connecting to the internet using that login but when I press 'GO' I get errors and no test results. It does give the option of contacting your ISP at that stage but Plusnet has never replied to my requests for help, so I am stuck.

Can anybody shed any light on this?
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It your requests for help are being ignored it would help if you posted the number of your last ticket about this so that the Comms team can have a look to see what has happened.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

OK, this was the last one:

It was closed advising that there was a voice fault on my line, and I should get BT to look at it, but I have no evidence so potentially BT will charge.

In my previous question 20999832 Plusnet said that BT would send an engineer but they closed the question without doing it.

Incidentally, Elvin, I did reply to your request for me to run a BT speed test in my other thread - did you see it?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Looking at the notes from the previous fault report this is waht BT said:

[18-02-2007 15:13:33] 15 - Our tests indicate a PSTN fault that may be the result of your customers equipment. Please talk your customer through removal of all non ADSL equipment attached to the line and resolve the issue directly with them.

Therefore the best thing to do is to ensure that all your equipment is checked (which I assume you've already done) and remove everything bar the router from the line which is connected in the master socket and if it's still the same to report it to BT retail as a voice fault to see if they can find anything wrong. They should at least be able to run a check on the line which should show up that there's a problem.
N/A

Thanks Dave

I am confused that I have to report it as a voice fault - doesn't seem truthful when the reality is that it manifests itself as a broadband fault. Please could you explain why it is a 'voice fault'?
Zathras
Grafter

Its a little white lie to get BT to do something.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I'm not sure I can give a full explanation, but can try and understand what BT Wholesale have sent back to us.

When we reported the fault to them they ran a series of remote tests on the line to find out what was wrong. The results of the tests showed that the likely cause of the problem was either your wiring or equipment or that it was a problem with something on the voice side rather than the broadband side.

Unfortunately it's tough to say exactly what the cause may be, as such the best thing to do is to remove everything from the line and report it as a voice fault so that the voice checks can be run which will hopefully find a fault on the line. We can really only go by what BT are saying and if they advise to go through the voice fault process then there's a good chance that is what needs doing, should they find no faults voice side then we can send it back to Wholesale saying that you've checked the voice and no faults were found.
N/A

I am actually paying line rental to Talktalk, not BT.

To report a voice fault, they (and BT actually) want me to take my socket to bits and use the 'test socket' to see if I still have my 'voice fault'. At that point they charge you for an engineer to visit. But the voice bit appears fine. I feel like I am being asked to tell lies and then I am going to end up with a hefty bill. Can't they test remotely first?
N/A

report it as a voice fault so that the voice checks can be run which will hopefully find a fault on the line.

But neither BT nor Talktalk (who I pay line rental to) offer 'voice checks' - just an engineer visit.

Plusnet were going to arrange an engineer directly, I gave them my availability and they then backed down and closed the question instead. I want answers about that - I feel that I am being fobbed off.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I don't know about Talk Talk, but certainly with BT you can report a voice fault online or the fault number and it will just run a line test.

We aren't fobbing you off we're simply passing on the information that BT Wholesale are telling us and their tests suggest a PSTN (voice) fault or a problem with your equipment. As I say there's no problem with sending it back to BT Wholesale but if the fault does lie with your equipment or something within your control then they can charge you a call out fee.
N/A

Today I spoke to OFCOM and was told that as the fault which I am experiencing is with my broadband, my contract is with Plusnet, and if as a result of investigations Plusnet decides that line checks and an engineer visit is necessary then it is their responsibility to sort it out, not mine.

They were very clear that I am being misinformed over having to report a voice fault myself, and although I only requested advice they insisted on lodging a complaint against Plusnet over this.

So do they know what they are talking about? It sounds right to me, as opposed to logging a voice fault.
N/A

I once reported a problem to BT with a noisy line. They sent an engineer round and he found a fault further down the road.He said if the fault was inside the house and my internal wiring I would be charged but if it's the line outside then I wouldn't be charged.
I was never charged anything by BT.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

So do they know what they are talking about? It sounds right to me, as opposed to logging a voice fault.

As I've said there's no problem raising it as broadband fault to BT Wholesale again but I just want to make sure that you're aware that if the problem lies with your equipment that BT may charge a call out fee or they may come back with the same response of raising voice fault.