cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT SPEED TEST

westie
Dabbler

BT SPEED TEST

Im on broadband plus up to Sad 8mb voyager 105 usb bt test result as follows ip profile for line is 250kbps dsl connection rate 448kbps (upstream) 320kbps (downstream) a
ctual ip throughput achieved during test was 175kbps being a novice user all this means diddy sqat to me can anyone tell if im getting value for money £14.99 done all the broadband fault checks answer best i can achieve from my exchange my computer has a usb 1 card could this be the problem?
6 REPLIES
swatty
Grafter

BT SPEED TEST

If you are on Broadband Plus then there are issues see numerous speed related posts in the Community support Forum, particularly

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=53647

It does look like BT have strangled your profile to 400kbps, I would raise a ticket with Plus Net and get them to chase BT to reset your profile. Though this could be because of a fault on your line or issues at your exchange.
westie
Dabbler

BT SPEED TEST

thanks for your reply i will travel that road Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

BT SPEED TEST

Re the previous advice.
Your problem is not with your IP profile but with your synch rate.
A downstream synch rate of 320kbps tells me that either you are a very very long way from your exchange or you have a major fault on the line either inside your property or to the exchange.
Before doing anything else you should connect your router/modem directly to the connection inside the master socket behind the lower faceplate and see what synch rate you get.
This gives a little more information
http://www.broadbandzone.co.uk/shop/centralisedfilter.html
westie
Dabbler

BT SPEED TEST

Thanks Jim for your reply and advice it appears that i have a old type master socket and not the newer type(NTE5)so i cannot do that test i will have to get on to BT to change it i am about 2 miles from local exchange others in area dont have a problem with the distance thanks Bren
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

BT SPEED TEST

It sounds very much like a line issue, if you say you are only 2Km from the exchange, however, your line could be much longer then that. I would try the Router in the 1st socket that comes into the house, with no extensions on at all, and see what Sync rate you get. DO you have any cracking or noise on the line at all, when you are making calls. If you have, then BT are obliged to send out an engineer, who in all likelihood would fit an NTE5 box for you, they did for me anyway :lol:
westie
Dabbler

BT SPEED TEST

thanks for help i will call in a telephone engineer friend to check it out and fit a nte5 box if the fault is my side of the master socket i would be looking at £60 call out charge + from BT if they find the fault is not their side of the box as you know with a NTE5 BOX a novice can check which side the problem is thanks bren