cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT SLA do they have one ?

N/A

Ordered Broadband from PlusNet on the 13th May.
"Activated" and Hardware turned up after a cock-up PlusNet administration on the 31st May....
No dial tone when using the USB modem - DSL light flashes and goes out.
Apparently BT have looked at the exchange tried something and told me to try and again - but no luck...
How long does it take to sort it out?
Plus Net support say there is no SLA with BT so we just have to wait and see when a BT engineer can be bothered to go and look at it.
The ticket hasn't been updated by PlusNet support since last Thursday ?
Anybody else had problems with getting connected ?
Funnily enough as soon as I put cancellation order in last night - I recieved a phone call this morning - from PlusNet saying they can't anything as they are waiting for BT !!!! ....
If I ordered by broadband from BT direct would I still be having all these problems I wonder !
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I'm not sure but I've read elsewhere that it is to do with old dial up modems not being disabled or something.
N/A

Just a quick query here... should usb adsl modems be complaining about no dial tone? (Never actually used a USB modem as I'm using a router)
N/A

Dial Tone..

I think it error 680 from the USB modem PlusNet provided..
it basically means it can find the exchange or a line to connect to.
I get the same message if I unplug the link the USB from the splitter.
I have tried two other splitters and numerous sockets around the house.
I must be a line problem or issue in the house (but unsure where /how?)
But it took ages for PlusNet to accept that was the problem.... and still waiting for BT and no urgency from PlusNet.
The call that was open with BT - you can check here for your phone line.
Was opened last monday - but it now been auto closed. So unsure it is actually been looked at anymore!

www.bt.com/faults
N/A

Old modem

I'm not sure but I've read elsewhere that it is to do with old dial up modems not being disabled or something.

Is it not disabled my current modem is active I need to collect mail from home - as I don't have broadband.
Using my surfanytime a/c get much better dialup speeds than the one provided by plusnet !
N/A

Getting BT to fix a fault? Ivan

Hello woolyjumper,

Firstly I use an ADSL modem and its worked beautifully for the past two years now without any problems at all. No! ADSL modems DONT actually dial a real phone number, what does cause quite abit of confusion is that windows still requires ADSL modems to create a dailup networking connection (DUN) just as if it was a dailup modem (like previous modems which did phone a number)

with my ADSL modem windows creates a DUN which then seems to emmulate an ISDN connection or mimic an ISDN Connection for the purposes of making the ADSL connection. The DUN only requires settings for the VPI=0 & VCI=38 over PPPoATM encapsulation, using G.DMT (not a phone number in sight).

If you do indeed have trouble with your phone line the best way to tackle it is firstly through Plusnet Support (and if PN are happy that its a BT problem) but if PN pass the problem to BT then its correct that BT dont offer any SLA on such problems so wont offer any idea of how quickly they will deal with your problem. I agree NOT very helpfull really is it? generally its a wating process.

**NOTE: I'm a paid up BT customer and have my voice calls with BT but if I had the same problem as yourself I'd be in exactly the same position. Secondly please bear in mind that PN are piggy in the middle here and they are also powerless to force BT to get faults like this fixed any faster. Because no SLA.

**BT are a huge dinosaure of a company and as such are NOT known for the quickness of doing things. BT are an appauling company for communicating with their own customers. BT move at their own speed and pace & seem to be a law unto themselves.

**You cannot go directly to BT for ADSL or DSL internet suport I already tried this on several occations and they will NOT help your directly but will refer you back to your own ISP i.e. PN

**BT's own ISP customers seem to get preferential treatment over customers of other ISP's like PN, F9 or FOL when it comes to faults but I wouldnt leave PN because of this. I wouldnt recommend BTOpenworld & BTYahoo to you though I think you would find that the service is NOT as good as PN can offer for a number of reasons.

Yes! its very frustrating I know & I agree that BT should offer a faster & better faults fixing service for other ISP's but we're all stuck with BT as they control most of the web telecoms infrastructure in the UK so we dont tend to have many alternative options.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
N/A

BT...

Fustrating isn't the word. Had Eclipse in my old property (in a rural area ) thought I would have had lots of problems - it went through a dream...
Had to rent so dialuped for while... looked around at deals and support for PN was goof but...
Disappointed with the contact us service... leave a msg as I am at work and can't stay on the phone for 15 minutes. Nobody replies to the contact us info. so end up having to spend 15 minutes listening to Tina Turner ... only to find that the call hasn't been returned to BT to follow up. So BT are slow getting to resolving the problem... But PN don't provide sufficient feedback if you use the contact us messaging system.
I think they should have a live chat - used one on Ikea -
asked for replacement screws (just moved house - who knows where they had gone).... and they arrived next day no cost, no fuss !
I wait two days for a response from PN - then the answer is : "I am sorry everybody from that department has left for the day". So piggy in the middle is the right word - but isn't that I pay them for ? A service that works...
Put it this way - how would you your 2MB line - dropped to 25KB dialup for a month!
I don't think you would be saying PN are piggy in the middle when they say BT MIGHT sort it out in the next two weeks ! I still have no idea whether I can get broadband - or what - the BT website says UNLIKELY for my phone number. But very likely using my postcode - but then they have activated the line!
anyway - off home to mow the lawn or something that does involve computers - LOL !
N/A

Replying Re: BT fixing fault Ivan

Hello woollyjumper,

What can I say but you have my entire sympathies and I do understand how you feel. Yes! I agree completely I would also feel like that too if it was me in the same situation. **Not only are BT aweful at telling customers anything they are equally poor at telling their ISP customers whats going on (cold comfort I know but its NOT always entirely PN fault either hence piggy in the middle).

**I suspect that even PN have little or no influence over the speed at which BT pull their finger out on any one customer faults/fix. Shockedops:

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

Back at square one !

BT Call was closed (unsure who by - BT or PN)...
So PN have raised another BT call to try and resolve my line problem.
I am getting paranoid now - checking that I haven't done something stupid wih the connections etc. - but will wait to see what response to get back from BT this time.
Well lets just hope I can get ADSL - I reckon the exchange is 5 km - but speaking to others - this shouldn't be an issue any more - even if I am on 512kb.
N/A

Hi woolyjumper,

Have you checked to see how far away from the exchange you are? if you go to this website you can find out lots of useful stuff about your exchange. Also useful is the Plusnet usertools website too.

(URL) http://www.samknows.com/broadband/
(URL) http://users.plus.net/

Ivan

F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

Exchange Info..

Thanks for the links...
Use the postcode of the exchange and www.theaa.com - route planner -
if I go by car (I suppose it gives an indication though not technically correct !)... the route is 3.1 miles or 5km :?

When I look on user.plus.net and I look at the exchange.. it gives info.
about DSLAM upgrades. But doesn't explain what that is ? Any ideas ?

ABL-ADSL-101 Upgrades on this DSLAM will commence in May 2005

Does this mean the possibility of 2 mb ? As the BT website indicates that 1mb might be possible - but more than likely 256 or 512kb.
N/A

Found this on ADSL guide. So I suspect the upgrade will get better speed and /or contention ratios.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/howitworks/dslam.asp

cheers
Geez
Grafter

1. Is your modem connected via a USB hub? If so, try connecting it directly to the computer

2. Do an Error Check (aka ScanDisk)

3. Get drunk (can be done whether 1 & 2 work or not)