cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT NTE5 Master Socket

N/A

BT NTE5 Master Socket

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone here knows the cost of getting BT out to replace your master socket. I currently have an old style pre 1986 socket which I cannot fit an adsl faceplate splitter to, So i was thinking of getting them out to replace my master for an NTE5. Prices anyone ? Also if im going to get them out to replace the socket to NTE5 I may as well get them to do the faceplate splitter themselves at same time. Again any prices ?

Thanks everyone!
17 REPLIES
N/A

BT NTE5 Master Socket

£40 Is a figure floating around in my head for some reason.

Contact BT raiting, who should be able to give you a price on the spot.
N/A

BT NTE5 Master Socket

Hi

If you don't use BT to fit the faceplate splitter then you could try Clarity? I bought a "modified BT ADSL Filter/Splitter Faceplate for NTE5 Master boxes" for £17.50 from them which meant I could hard-wire an extension linebox (also from Clarity) to it, leaving the faceplate's two sockets clear.
They also supply an umodified Filter/Splitter Faceplate - it's worth having a look at their site, http://www.clarity.it, for lots of ADSL connection advice and other stuff...

Tim
N/A

BT NTE5 Master Socket

Howeverm if on the old style master wireing, you can't legaly fit a master socket in replacment.

The line terminates that the junction box, which your not supposed to open.

BT produced the NTe5 for the specific purpose of allowing customers to introduce there own wireing, only from the rear of the faceplate.
N/A

BT NTE5 Master Socket

Hi Philip

Yes, I gathered that no-one was allowed to mess around with the master socket - this was a replacement ADSL splitter faceplate which has terminals on the back for fixing not only the voice line extensions but also the filtered ADSL line. It seems a neat solution Smiley

Tim
N/A

BT NTE5 Master Socket

as u mentioned acarr I do have a small rectangular shaped box on its side thats on the side of the skirting as soon as you come in from the front door as is the case with old style BT wiring setup, so is that junction box where BT's responsibilty ends ? If so im more than happy to replace the current old style master socket with my own NTe5.

As you suggested earlier I rang BT today and was quoted some £135 to replace my socket to an NTe5 by a BT engineer, I was so shocked that i didnt speak for about 10 secs. They stated £50 visit fee, £40 labour fee and £20 box fee, without vat of course.

There's no point me wiring in an extension NTe5 next to my exisiting master as the other fella suggested, just defeats the point of wanted an NTe5 master to cut down on possible interference points.

If with my old setup I can legally change the master socket due to the junction box by the door then great! otherwise im stuffed cos theres no way on earth im paying some fat sweaty BT engineer with his are crack hanging out £135 to screw a new box to my wall (Rant over).
N/A

BT NTE5 Master Socket

Take a look at this link http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/nte5.htm where it has an article on (first bit shown):

"Adding your own NTE5 (UK)

If you find yourself without an NTE5 style Master BT Line Box, and thus denied the ability to use the handy BT ADSL adaptor faceplates instead of microfilters, here's how to go about fitting your own NTE5 - Legally - to distribute your extensions to suit your plans.

Right, so you want to add your own NTE5 line box from which to serve all your phone services in your home or office, maybe even to let you use an ADSL adaptor faceplate. Legally you must NOT try to be a smart ass and replace your non-NTE5 BT Master socket with your own. See below for the reasons why.

All you do to circumvent this situation is make your own NTE5 the very first "extension" off the true Master box, and serve ALL other telephone points from there. You're therefore establishing your own master distribution point, while maintaining the BT master socket's placement"

Tim
wandelaar
Grafter

BT NTE5 Master Socket

I guess I was very lucky.

When BT came to remove my ISDN and replace it with an ADSL enabled 'standard' line the BT Engineer was a guy living abt 5 doors away.

He fitted a NTE5 socket and a BT ADSL filter faceplate for free.

From my experience, the BT filter is very good indeed.

Try and find a tame BT man is my advice..

Dave
wandelaar
Grafter

BT NTE5 Master Socket

I guess I was very lucky.

When BT came to remove my ISDN and replace it with an ADSL enabled 'standard' line the BT Engineer was a guy living abt 5 doors away.

He fitted a NTE5 socket and a BT ADSL filter faceplate for free.

From my experience, the BT filter is very good indeed.

Try and find a tame BT man is my advice..

Dave
N/A

BT NTE5 Master Socket

If you have an old oblong box, BT is obliged to replace it with an NTE5 free of charge.
wandelaar
Grafter

BT NTE5 Master Socket

Oops,

Appologies for the double post..

Dave
zpeterk
Grafter

BT NTE5 Master Socket

If you haven't got a 431A socket already how did yo plug your modem in?
N/A

BT NTE5 Master Socket

You can easily wire a secondary socket to the old style box (if you know what you're doing!).
N/A

BT NTE5 Master Socket

my master socket is fine, all im saying is its an older style one with the t shaped bt logo on, the type where the user i.e me cannot add their own extensions on any removable lower plate, like what u find on the NTE5, so if i fit my own faceplate to this master socket i will be doing so illegally.
N/A

BT NTE5 Master Socket

Correction! I have just spoken to BT on 150, apparently they are not obliged to fit a NTE5 for free.

However, 1) if you are elderly (?) you may qualify for a free installation, or 2) if there is a fault in the house the engineer would fit a NTE5 as a first step.

You can only try!