cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Master Socket - HELP

N/A

BT Master Socket - HELP

I think my BT Master socket is screwy. When I plug my router into it I get the same speed connection as any socket in my house (2.2Mbps). However, when I remove the face plate and plug the router into the socket behind the face plate my sync speeds increase by 50% from 2.2 to 3.5 Mbps. :lol:

The thing is, from what I can see the faceplate seems to be hardwired, i.e. no wires (that I can see at least).

To save me from the wraith of my missus and prevent me from having a socket hanging off the wall. Is there any thing I can do, or do I need a BT engineer to replace the face plate?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
11 REPLIES
N/A

BT Master Socket - HELP

Try google-ing 'phone socket' (UK), e.g.
www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html
N/A

BT Master Socket - HELP

Is there another socket behind this plate?
N/A

BT Master Socket - HELP

Also try BT's site on fault finding starting at:

http://www.bt.com/index.jsp

You should have another socket under the cover of the master socket.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

BT Master Socket - HELP

Are you sure that there are no wires attached to the removable part of the faceplate as that is what your extension sockets should be connected to and that is why plugging your router into the internal socket can give a big improvement as it bypases all your internal wiring
N/A

Re: BT Master Socket - HELP

Is there any thing I can do, or do I need a BT engineer to replace the face plate?

Nothing to stop you replacing the face plate yourself.

If you can plug your router in at the master then ideally I would fit one of >>these<<then you can do away with the necessity for a filter.
N/A

Re: BT Master Socket - HELP

I think my BT Master socket is screwy. When I plug my router into it I get the same speed connection as any socket in my house (2.2Mbps). However, when I remove the face plate and plug the router into the socket behind the face plate my sync speeds increase by 50% from 2.2 to 3.5 Mbps.

The thing is, from what I can see the faceplate seems to be hardwired, i.e. no wires (that I can see at least).

To save me from the wraith of my missus and prevent me from having a socket hanging off the wall. Is there any thing I can do, or do I need a BT engineer to replace the face plate?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Sounds like it could be interference from the ring wire.
Do you have three wires connected to the extension block?
The ring wire is a legacy from old fashioned phones - they needed the third wire to allow them to ring. They are not needed now but the wiring is still there. From what I understand, the ring wire isn't filtered by the adsl filter and can act as a large aerial picking up interference.
Mine was. My sync speed went from 3.9 to 6.0 after I snipped this wire off. :lol:

Look at the following link. The bit you want is right near the end.

http://www.readman.dsl.pipex.com/other/UKphonecatwiring.htm

HTH

Martin
Tongue
Community Veteran

BT Master Socket - HELP

Sorry to be a bore but remember it is illegal to touch anything behind the test socket in your master box! Anything up to the test socket is the responsibility of BT and anything from the faceplate and in your house unless otherwise stated is the responsibility of u!
shellsong
Grafter

BT Master Socket - HELP

If you have the old type master socket rather than the NTE5 with the split front you might do well to look at http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/nte5.htm
N/A

BT Master Socket - HELP

Sorry to be a bore but remember it is illegal to touch anything behind the test socket in your master box! Anything up to the test socket is the responsibility of BT and anything from the faceplate and in your house unless otherwise stated is the responsibility of u!

Your not a bore! With a split BT socket, it's the top bit behind the plate which you must not fiddle with on pain of death (or some other more proportionate punishment).
You can legally snip your ring wire without fear of prosecution or disconnection.
Probably best to refit it when you move house in case the next owner has an old phone.

HTH

Martin
N/A

BT Master Socket - HELP

Thanks for all the ideas. I'll give em a try when I get home (just back from the hols). Let you know how I get on.

Cheers!
N/A

BT Master Socket - HELP

That did the trick. Disconnected the ringer circuits and I now have the same speed on all sockets in the house!!

Great stuff, many thanks!!