cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Line test failed

N/A

BT Line test failed

A BT Engineer came to my house on 9th Feb to test my line as I want to upgrade from ISDN to ADSL. He said that my line had passed and the attenuation result was 56db.

Great, I thought, I ordered a router and waited for my ISDN to be removed scheduled for today 17th Feb. A different BT engineer came out and tested the line and told me that I'm too far from the exchange and that he couldn't get a signal.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Is the first engineer wrong, or the second one? Am I doomed to ISDN forever? Sad

Mark.
37 REPLIES
Community Veteran

BT Line test failed

56db is pretty close to the limit (60db) for 512k ADSL so maybe environmental conditions (i.e. rain) resulted in the 2nd test being different and failing. Did you get a DB figure from the 2nd test.

I don't think there is much you can do except contact BT and find out why the first test was OK and the 2nd failed. Also ask for your line to be checked to see if there is anything BT can do to improve your line quality. There is nothing PlusNet can do because BT have the ultimate yes/no on whether a line supports ADSL or not and if BT say no then it's a no.
N/A

BT Line test failed

Can rain really affect a telephone line? There were some differences in the testing.

Engineer1 (passed the line 56db):
Dry day
Tested the line on the cable directly outside the house

Engineer2 (failed the line):
Very rainy day
Tested the line on an extension that was installed by BT for ISDN 2 years ago.

When I go to the BT checker it says I may be able to get 2mbit download speed, and I am being told I've failed. Here's what it says:

For Telephone Number 01234xxxxxx on Exchange WILSTEAD

Your exchange has ADSL broadband.

Our initial test on your line suggests that you may be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides up to 2Mbps download speed.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable, and if so for what speed of service.

Thank you for your interest.

Note: If you have an ISDN or Home Highway service connected to this number and you wish to purchase Broadband ADSL, then the current service will have to be converted to a standard PSTN line. Provided the line and exchange support ADSL, your service provider may be able to arrange the conversion for you. If you have an existing Broadband ADSL service and wish to change Service providers then please contact both your new and existing Service Provider to have this service transferred.

Do you think I have any chance of getting this fixed? I've already raised a ticket with plusnet to investigate.

Thanks.
Community Veteran

BT Line test failed

As I explained in my first post, PlusNet can't do anything about this. You need to contact BT and find out why you were told the first test passed and the 2nd failed and see if BT can do anything about it.

Yes, rain can effect underground cabling (not just from your house) but also between the local junction box and the exchange. Bad contacts in your master socket, in the junction box in your street and at the exchange can all effect the quality of the line - more so if it is an old line. All you can do is ask BT to investigate and try to improve your line quality but they may refuse to do that as they only have to supply a good voice quality connection.

Note: the BT checker is just a guide and is based on a database of subscriber lines and distance from exchange. Just because it says you can have 2Meg does not mean you can actually get it. The checker for me says I can't have broadband but I have had it for 2 years. It is all down to the quality of your line and the line check and if that fails, you can't have ADSL.
N/A

BT Line test failed

If I read correctly, 2nd Engineer tested a ISDN line, he wouldn't get a signal on that....
1st Engineer tested analog phone.
ISDN has to be deactivated before DSL tests can be done.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Community Veteran

BT Line test failed

Very valid point which Mark should pass on to BT to get confirmation if the 2nd line test was done wrong.

Although would the ISDN have effected the testing of the wires outside the house?
N/A

BT Line test failed

Don't know. It is just the mention of "outside" and "extension for ISDN". There could be a DAC somewhere.
N/A

BT Line test failed

The other problem is that it's difficult to get direct
acces to BT Wholesale, unless you have contact details
of the engineers that visited, it will usually have to
be taken up by your ISP and probably by someone
placing a manual order rather than through the automated process.
It does sound a bit odd in that the second engineer found no signal
at all rather than a poor signal.
N/A

BT Line test failed

OK, guys let me clear things up a bit.

I have had ISDN for two years now. The first engineer came out with ISDN still on the line and measured the attenuation which came out at 56db. He said I would probably be able to get ADSL, I would have to wait until the ISDN was removed. He tested the entry point into the house, on the outside wall of the house.

The 2nd engineer came out, removed the ISDN and claims he could not get a signal at all. He tested the signal from the phone point in my home office - which is an extension that BT created when I had ISDN put in. Acutally it's the second extension I've had put in because I had ISDN in a different room initally, and had it moved by BT. The engineer then went to the junction box and he couldn't get a signal there either which makes me wonder if the exchange was faulty that day. He then put the ISDN back on. I'm wondering why he didn't get a signal at all, and the first engineer got a signal that would have passed for ADSL.

Looking at the ADSL tracker, plusnet have refunded my money and cancelled the whole order. Should I try a different ISP? If I phone BT, who do I phone? I don't think they are going to listen to me very sympathetically.

The annoying thing is I spent many evenings campaigning in my village to get broadband gathering names for the trigger level, and now I can't get it. I would like to try and get another test done just to confirm that the 2nd engineer didn't have a "bad day".

What do you think? What would you do?

Thanks,
Mark.
N/A

BT Line test failed

The good news is your line status doesnt look to have changed to RED, so a manual order will not be required if you choose to place an order with another isp. I had problems getting my adsl back and when i finally got an engineer to check the line he could not get a signal with the voice (i think) turned on so he phoned up to have that disabled, then we got the signal

Check your pm btw Smiley
wandelaar
Grafter

BT Line test failed

No need to change ISP..

ADSL is ADSL whoever you get it from, at the end of the day it is via BT..

Check your PM..

Dave.
N/A

BT Line test failed

Check your pm btw Smiley

I did that - nothing there...
N/A

BT Line test failed

As a last resort, you could apply direct to BT for a new line
with the condition that it supports ADSL, then disconnect the
old one. There's no guarantee that the new one will support it,
but If your well within the 5.5km distance from the exchange
(3.5km for 1& 2 Meg) then I think it would be well worth the
try rather than messing with an old connection.
But try to get your application re-submitted first.
Alec.
wandelaar
Grafter

BT Line test failed

Wierd PM?

I replied earllier via PM and again after reading your post..

Still no PM?

Dave.
N/A

BT Line test failed

How do I know how long my line is? I tried the old 17070 (or whatever it was), and that doesn't seem to work anymore.