cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Line Quality.

N/A

BT Line Quality.

Can someone please explain to me line quality?

I have had two differant answers from BT.

N0: 1 Quality of line depends on how far you are from the exchange? (About two miles)

N0: 2 Fibre Optic cable is C**P not as good as copper wiring.

WHAT!!!

For some reason or other I can only have 1 meg service. BT have treid to plam me of with these two stories, it all baffles me.
When I asked BT about maintance and upgrading lines so that people can get 2 meg and above connection speeds, the above was preached.

So what about line rental, surely 10.50 a month should at least intitle me to some kind of maintence and upgrading within the next 100 years... Oh and what the hell is ADSL 2. (18 meg speeds) Bull! Jesus BT, I cant even reach 2 meg without pitching out!

WB=B2K=
www.uk-base.co.uk
2 REPLIES
N/A

BT Line Quality.

The long and short of it, when ti comes to ADSL, both answers are correct.

Both however, have inconsistancies and unclarified points, that make more sense when known.

1: Line quality does depend on the length of the cable.

Well, it's not the line quality that is at issue, as the cable quality should remain in a pretty good condition throughout, but bear in mind, many parts of the network are very old (older cables may cause quality issues, but nothing you can ask to be fixed).

The real answer is, the further you are away from the exchange, the more the Signal quality degrades.

Physics dictates that for every X length of cable, Y signal is lost. As signal is lost, the quality degrades. At distance, it may be sufficient to support sevrice Z, but not at high speeds.

You say you are 2 miles away. Is this line length as in straight line, or the way you drive to the exchange?

Bear in mind that a straight line never happens, and driviing to the exchange is of little use, when you don't know if the cable is routed half-way around town or not.

2: Fibre optic cables are indeed rubish when it comes to ADSL.

Why? Because ADSL signals do not operate over such cables, only copper.

As such, you must have a metalic (copper) path all the way from your house to the exchange, to connect to the DSLAM. Without such a complete path, no signal can be used.

The way ADSL works, is effectivly a transmitter like that used in a standard radio. Rather than broadcast the signal over the airwaves, it is instead broadcast over a copper cable.

Adding fiber or other transfer mediums is like putting a large building in the way of a transmitter, you will not get a signal.

With regards to maintenance. BT perform maintenance all the time, and network maintenance is a costly business. Bear in mind they routinely test almost every customer connection in the country for faults (performed at night, so no loss of service is seen, which occurs during the tests).

4 in 5 faults are repaired without the customer ever knowing they existed, when detected from this line care.

Besides this, BT only have an obligation to provide you with a line adiquate for voice services. The regulators do recognise the need for data over phone lines, so a requirement of supporting only 28kbps as a minimum exists.

As for ADSL2/2+

This isn't going to be the magic cure people want it to be. It is only going to allow faster speeds that are sufficiently close enough to the exchange, like the requirement that exists in the existing system.

At long reaches, the performance has been know to be the same and in some cases, worse than standard ADSL.
N/A

BT Line Quality.

Thanks for the reply,

makes a little sense, but hey! All technology baffles me.

Cheesy

WB=B2K=

www.uk-base.co.uk