cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Line Length.

N/A

BT Line Length.

urrently im 1.50km from my exchange, i have 1mb at the moment, and have tried to upgrade to 2mb with plusnet. they preformed a wooosh test or something and said i would be fine for 2mb. but when it come to ordering they said i could not get it due to lignn length. and i should wait.
But what exactly am i waiting for? i thought if im to far away than thats it, i just cant get it fullsto. Alternatively, is there something BT can do to make it available to me?

ta,
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

BT Line Length.

Where did you get the figure of 1.5KM from?

I suspect that is straight line distance between your location and the exchange but wires never go in a straight line.

Even though you are that far from the exchange, your line could easilly be 4 or 5KM long and thus will not support the 2Mbs speeds. The longer the line, the more signal loss and thus the lower the speed it will support.

Also the BT database often determins what speed you will get and this is also often wrong and very difficult to get corrected. See what the BT ADSL checker say is the max your line will support.

If you have a router, see if it shows line stats. If so, post them here as that will tell us what speeds your line could support.

Also see ADSL: Understanding Line Loss and measurements.
N/A

BT Line Length.

my old router does nto support this, but i did get a whoosh test last month.:

Assigned : [INTERNAL]
Analysis
OK.

Circuit Information
Circuit In Sync
NTE In Service
NTE Power On
Bypass Not Activated
MUX In Service
Upstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 20 dB
Margin 25 dB
Errored Seconds 0
HEC Errors 0
Cell Count 862010702
Speed 288 k
Downstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 38 dB
Margin 19 dB
Errored Seconds 0
HEC Errors 0
Cell Count -688882259
Speed 1152 k

Should be fine for 2Mb. Please action as appropriate.

Regards,
Matt Roberts

To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html

after a manual regrade order was palced i was told tehre was to much noise on my line, . i was told it may be due to bad weather? i have no idea about these things, on the guide it saud i need les than 43DB line loss. it says here i have 38db loss? hmm
Community Veteran

BT Line Length.

THat woosh test does not indicate any line noise. If there was, I would expect to see error seconds or a HEC error count > 0.

What did the BT ADSL checker say your maximum speed can be for your phone number?

FYI, I had a similar problem going from 512K to 1Mbs where I was told my line was too noisy and the BT checher said the max I could get was 512Kbs, but subsequent whoosh tests stated I should be able to get 1Mbs. So I said either put a manual order through or raise a BT fault report and get it investigated. The manual order went through without a problem.
N/A

BT Line Length.

it says 1mb, the regraid failed, how to i raise a fault with bt?
Community Veteran

BT Line Length.

You have to go through PlusNet but until the BT database is corrected, you and PN probably won't get anywhere.

You could try contacting MrSaffron on ADSLguide and give him the results of the whoosh test posted earlier + what the BT database says and he may be able to get the BT database corrected, and thus allow PN to submit a regrade request.

Or you insist PN raise a fault with BT to have your line properly checked rater than just rejected due to the BT database.
N/A

BT Line Length.

Okay thank you, i emailed the person in question.

on another note,
I managed to find my old FDX310 USB modem wich does line attenuation tests. here is the results for downstream

Local/remote attenuation: 35.5/21.0dB
SNR Margin: 29.5dB (this was 30.0dB the first tiem i ran the test,)

Now eaither i am seeing things, or this means i SHOULD be able to get 2mb? since 1mb requires less than 43db?

i hope im not wasting my time, i just dont see how i can be wrong now Smiley