cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Engineer line stats - what do they mean?

N/A

Hi , after months of random disconnects (started just before xmas) finally a BT Engineer visited.

He ran various test using his laptop and 'special kit'

the results were:

Signal to Noise 24db

and something called

Insertion Loss 32.98db ?

From memory our line is 3.7km from the Exchange (just outside the orginal limit of 3.6km - that's why we had to wait for Extended Reach R-ADSL)

My question is what is the Insertion loss ?(I think that's what he said?) - I don't see it mentioned anywhere on these boards , only Line Attenuation..

The engineer visited 3-4 times as the line seemed to only disconnect when he left :-) - in the end it was a bad router (Netgear DG824M)

Each time the results were the same.

He said that 1mb should not be a problem, but a few weeks ago I requested a upgrade to 1mb and it was declined - could this have been caused by my dodgy router?)

What speed should I be able to get with these results ?

Thanks
Greg
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

insertion loss = line attenuation.

You should be good for 2Mb and higher.
N/A

Excellent news.. Thanks..

Excelllent new's - I thought it might have been the same, I just had not seen it mentioned anywhere !..

I wonder why my 1mb Upgrade was rejected ... It could have be when they run the whoosh test that the router was playing up!.. (in the end it would not connect at all - retrying every 10 seconds + making funny noises ;~)

Is it probably not worth me upgrading now thu ! With all these automatic upgrades going ahead ?
N/A

I'm having a problem too with disconnection recently (for the past 2 weeks), and wondering what brand of modem/router you're using right now. I am thinking of getting a new router since I'm getting fed up with all these disconnection. I've done almost everything (have changed my chepo filter with Solwise face-plate filter) but the problem kept coming back. The BT engineer did a remote loop test and found out that my line works perfectly well for them.
N/A

Any one make any sense out of this

Circuit Information
Circuit In Sync
Upstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 23 dB
Cell Count 120176361
Downstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 37 dB
Cell Count 462944387
Community Veteran

yes.
N/A

What does it mean then Huh?
the_norris
Grafter

You have some sort of DSL connection. Smiley Sorry could not stop myself.

Well, on the serious note. The only really usefull part there is the
"Downstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 37 dB "

Which is the 37dB - line attenuation. You can get 2Mb. You should get 4Mb ok when its out, but you may be lucky for 8Mb been ok.

Phil
N/A

Thanks for the info man. Dont no about all this stuff