cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Engineer came on site and saw 2.8mb

N/A

I have been been liasing with PlusNet (PN) for nearly 3 months now regarding the poor performace of my line.

My typical performace is 0.25mb - I can download at around 25-30kbps

Recently PN arranged for a BT engineer to come and test my line. For those reading this who are familiar, he tested it using his equipment, with the face plate of the main socket off. He saw 2.8mb coming into my house.

I repeated the test using my equipment (Netgear DG834G connected via a LAN cable) with the faceplate off, and NOTHING else connected and I still only get 0.25mb.

I think Plusnet are finished with the ticket now (22206205) - they are saying "The reduction in speed is being produced as a result of your own equipment and not that of a fault on the service we are providing." I get very little "human" response on my ticket, and I feel like I'm being dumped.

I have tried every permutation on my line with three different modems, and I get the same result.

I made the point that the BT test was inconsistant that they were using their equipment not mine and connecting to the BT network not PlusNet. But PlusNet have ignored this comment.

Can anyone offer me any advice what to try or do next ?

Should I try another ISP ?
3 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

The 2.8Mb the engineer saw is probably the sync speed to the exchange. If your line syncs consistently at this speed then your profiled speed will increase too.
Unfortunately it appears that your sync speed isn't staying stable and is dropping lower causing the profiled speed to remain low. The engineer should know what speed the line is currently profiled at and the sync speeds and time of these syncs that have caused this drop.

As it is the sync speed causing the problems switching to another ISP won't change this as they will also be using the same lines with the same interference on them.

I'd advise replying to the ticket with a new speed test and we can get this back to BT and chase it up until your speed rises again.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

I'd advise replying to the ticket with a new speed test and we can get this back to BT and chase it up until your speed rises again.

But PlusNet have said its my equipment and notthing to do with them ?

I even sent a YouTube clip showing my setup ...
James
Grafter

Hi there,

Sorry if you feel that you're getting the roundaround here. What Chris is alluding to is that the BT Engineer got 2.8Mbps synchronisation speed. It might have fluctuated if he had hung around for awhile.

Have you been keeping a track of your synchronisation speeds? Have you seen if they are fluctuating? You can't rule out router problems in these cases, because your router could be struggling to "hold" the synchronisation speed.

I'm not saying it's definitely not your router nor am I saying it definitely is, butr it has to be considered in cases like these.